From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Namibian armed involvement in civil wars criticized

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date 21 Feb 2000 14:03:14

Cape Town - The Synod of the United Congregational Church in Namibia has
condemned that country's involvement in the civil wars taking place in
Angola and the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Meeting at Grootfontein on 19 February, the Synod affirmed Jesus' summons
to his followers to be peacemakers. It suggested that, rather than
committing troops to fight alongside the armed forces of the Angolan and
and DRC governments, the Namibian government should have played the
impartial role of peacemaker.

In a statement, signed by the Synod Secretary, Rev Steve Titus, who is also
a member of the Central Committee of the World Council of Churches, the
Synod said: "Namibia cannot afford the financial responsibility of war. We
call on the government to withdraw Namibian troops from the DRC and to seal
the border with Angola.

"We extend our sympathy to the people in the north of Namibia who have
suffered pain, loss and death. We also extend our support to the churches
in Angola as they work for peace in that country".

Rev Dave Wanless - Coordinator: Ecumenical News Network southern Africa
Tel & Fax: +27 (21) 683-9665
Cell: 082 958-6482
E-mail: davecong@mweb.co.za
Website: www.uccsa.co.za