From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Methodists participate in huge march for Vieques

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 22 Feb 2000 14:21:06

Feb. 22, 2000 News media contact: Linda Bloom·(212) 870-3803·New York
10-21-71B{090}

By Paul Jeffrey*

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (UMNS) -- A march organized by religious leaders in
San Juan, Puerto Rico, became a peaceful and powerful indicator of
opposition against the U.S. Navy presence on Vieques, according to Methodist
officials.

"I'm very satisfied and happy. This was a beautiful and extraordinary
event," said Bishop Juan Vera of the Methodist Church of Puerto Rico. Vera
and other religious leaders sponsored the march.

The Rev. Franklin Guerrero, who participated in the first part of the Feb.
21 march, said it was the most significant protest called by religious
leaders there since 1972. "It was just a march for the peace and justice and
welfare of the people of Vieques," added Guerrero, with the United Methodist
Board of Global Ministries in New York.

The march drew crowds estimated from 80,000 to more than 100,000.

"This is the largest public demonstration we've had in the history of our
country," Vera said. "It sends a clear message to President Clinton that
political decisions are not written in stone and can thus be changed. We
want him to reconsider his decision and not renew bombing on Vieques,
whether with live munitions or inert bombs. We don't want one more bomb to
fall on Vieques."

Children, youth and women were among the many who turned out to protest an
agreement reached last month between Puerto Rico Gov. Pedro Rossello and
President Clinton that would allow the U.S. Navy to resume limited training
exercises with inert bombs on the island of Vieques.

The agreement also called for a referendum, mostly likely in 2001, letting
Vieques residents choose whether to allow the Navy to resume training with
live bombs or end its presence there by May 1, 2003.

The Rev. German Acevedo-Delgado, with the Board of Global Ministries, said
the extraordinary response of Puerto Ricans to the march was evidence that
the Clinton Administration will have to reconsider the terms of that
agreement.

He noted that the religious community in Puerto Rico insists on the holding
of a referendum before any training resumes, with an option of ending the
Navy presence immediately, not in three years. The vote on such a referendum
also would have to be legally binding, he said.

The Board of Global Ministries will continue supporting the position of the
Methodist Church of Puerto Rico and the people of Vieques and expects to
send another delegation to a protest camp on the island in March. "We will
be doing that as long as it is needed to be in solidarity with the people of
Vieques," Acevedo-Delgado said.

Vera, who headed the march with two Roman Catholic bishops and almost a
dozen leaders of Protestant and evangelical denominations, said the event
marked "a new moment" for ecumenism in Puerto Rico.

"For the first time in our country, all religious sectors have come
together. We're Catholics, Pentecostals, evangelicals, Protestants, all
united in an embrace of solidarity, all wanting as Christians to defend
life, all demanding peace for Vieques," Vera said.

The struggle for Vieques "is building a new ecumenical unity," said Eunice
Santana, a leader of the Disciples of Christ and director of the Caribbean
Institute for Ecumenical Action and Training. "Never before have we had such
a wide consensus among churches in Puerto Rico. The struggle for peace on
Vieques offered the churches a kairos moment, and they've responded well."

Gov. Rossello, who had called on church members to practice "religious
disobedience" and boycott the march, paid no attention to the demonstration,
a spokesperson said.

"If they're paying attention, this march was a good way to take the pulse of
the people of Puerto Rico," Santana declared. "The march was a concrete act
demonstrating the will of the people of Puerto Rico."

Encouraged by the turnout, religious leaders said they would meet Feb. 22 to
consider future actions.

"The group will responsibly study the next steps to take in order to achieve
peace on Vieques," said Roberto Gonzalez, Roman Catholic archbishop of San
Juan. "This is a great moment of hope. We've managed to demonstrate the
great consensus that lives in the heart of the Puerto Rican people, a
consensus that there be justice and peace on Vieques."
# # #
*Jeffrey is a United Methodist missionary based in Honduras. Linda Bloom,
news director of United Methodist News Service's New York office,
contributed to this report.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://www.umc.org/umns