From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

"Pastoral Letter" to Explain PC(USA) Spending Decisions

From PCUSA NEWS <pcusa.news@ecunet.org>
Date 23 Feb 2000 20:10:40

23-February-2000
00087

    "Pastoral Letter" to Explain PC(USA) Spending Decisions

    GAC says 3 rescues are "financial responses," not "bailouts"

    By John Filiatreau

LOUISVILLE, Ky. - The General Assembly Council (GAC) on Feb. 19 appointed a
three-person group to write a "pastoral letter" to members of the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.), explaining the denomination's controversial
decisions to help cover financial deficits of the National Council of
Churches, "The Dawn" youth celebration at New Year's 2000, and the new
PC(USA) church-school curriculum.

    The three co-authors are GAC chair-elect Peter Pizor, vice chair-elect
Carole Rummell and GAC member the Rev. Jeff Bridgeman.

    The Council voted earlier to contribute a total of $500,000 to the NCC
to cover its 1999 deficit and has pumped about $5 million into the
denomination's new church-school curriculum; the deficit for "The Dawn" is
still subject to some negotiation, but was estimated recently at $1.7
million.

    The motion, which originated in the Worldwide Ministries Division
committee, specifies that the proposed letter is to include "a pastoral
introduction" and "a pastoral conclusion," as well as an explanation of the
three "unfortunate circumstances" and an assurance that the three "are
unrelated and will not be repeated."

    The letter is also to include a discussion of factors leading to the
losses; the church's reasoning for paying against the deficits; and
restrictions it has attached to the monies. The letters are to be composed
and "appropriately distributed" by Feb. 25, 2000.

    The motion, put forward by the Rev. Thomas Letts of West Yellowstone,
Mont., a member of the WMD Committee, originally referred to three "deficit
bailouts." After some GAC members objected that the payments, at least in
the case of the new curriculum, were investments rather than bailouts, that
language was changed, substituting "financial responses" for "deficit
bailouts."

    In committee, Letts had called the three payments "a bailout of at
least $6.1 million" and told the other committee members, "I need a clear
understanding of how to justify this to our home churches and presbyteries
 ... if it is justifiable."

    Letts said he was happy with how his motion fared before the GAC.

    "I originally wrote `bailout,' and just said, `I don't have another
word,'" Letts told the Presbyterian News Service, "but I don't object to
the change in wording. My main concern was that congregations might
perceive us as a body that is theologically biased and pastorally aloof,
and I don't think that's an accurate reflection of who we are. ... (And)
people deserve to be spoken with, not simply communicated to."

    "I like this group," he said, referring to the GAC, "and I like what I
have seen in these four years that I've been on the council, and I trust
the Holy Spirit acting in this group. ... If you had told me a month ago
that I would vote for these proposals, I'd have said there was no way."

    Letts said he changed his mind in part because he was provided new
information; in part because discussing the matter with GAC Executive
Director John Detterick proved to be "a great confidence booster," and in
part because he is impressed with Bob Edgar, the new general secretary of
the NCC.

  This note sent by Office of News Services,
  Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
  to the World Faith News list <wfn-news@wfn.org>.
  For additional information about this news story,
  call 502-569-5493 or send e-mail to PCUSA.News@pcusa.org

  On the web:  http://www.pcusa.org/pcnews/

  If you have a question about this mailing list,
  send queries to wfn@wfn.org