From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Possible Changes Offered in Full Communion Implementation

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 28 Feb 2000 14:46:28

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

February 28, 2000

POSSIBLE CHANGES OFFERED IN FULL COMMUNION IMPLEMENTATION
00-041-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- Eighteen people with differing views on a
Lutheran proposal for full communion with the Episcopal Church met in an
unofficial, facilitated dialogue in Milwaukee Feb. 16-18.  The group
approved a "Common Ground Resolution" suggesting "a possible path" in
implementing the full communion proposal that could enable those opposed
to the proposal to remain in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA).
     "We believe voting members of the 1999 churchwide assembly did not
anticipate the depth and extent of opposition that appears to exist,"
the resolution said.
     One suggestion called on the ELCA Church Council to consider a
delay in implementing the proposal   known as "Called to Common Mission"
(CCM) --  until after the 2001 ELCA Churchwide Assembly, to allow for
certain constitutional changes.  Another suggested change would allow
ELCA pastors to be recognized fully as pastors even if their ordinations
are constitutionally "irregular" because a synodical bishop was not
present.
     Some dialogue participants suggested other proposals.  They
suggested ELCA bishops be fully recognized as bishops even if their
installations are irregular under CCM, or they suggested the churchwide
assembly create a non-geographic synod within the ELCA "which may be out
of conformity with certain provisions of full communion agreements," the
resolution said.
     Though CCM was adopted 716-317 at the 1999 ELCA Churchwide
Assembly, the proposal still must be acted on by a general convention of
the Episcopal Church meeting this July in Denver.  Until it is adopted
by the Episcopal Church, full communion is not in effect.
     Dialogue participants were chosen by a steering committee of
representatives who favor and oppose CCM, said the Rev. Mark S. Hanson,
bishop of the ELCA Saint Paul (Minn.) Area Synod, and a key leader in
organizing the dialogue.  Hanson is also vice chair of the ELCA
Conference of Bishops.  The idea for the dialogue was suggested by Clair
Strommen, a Naples, Fla., lay leader who was a dialogue participant,
Hanson said.
     The dialogue was closed to the public and media representatives,
including ELCA News and Information.
     Though it has no official status, the resolution and its proposal
will be forwarded for possible consideration to the Rev. H. George
Anderson, ELCA presiding bishop; the ELCA Conference of Bishops,
consisting of the ELCA's 66 bishops and the ELCA secretary; the ELCA
Church Council, the church's board of directors; and the WordAlone
Network, an interim organization that serves CCM opponents.  It will
also be provided as information to the Episcopal Church, the resolution
said.
     Lutherans who oppose CCM say they object to the ELCA's adoption of
the "historic episcopate," brought to the relationship by the
Episcopalians.  It is a succession of bishops back to the earliest days
of the Christian Church.
     The ELCA's adoption of the historic episcopate requires Lutheran
clergy to be ordained exclusively by bishops and requires bishops in the
historic episcopate to be present when Lutheran bishops are installed.
Currently, there are no such requirements in the ELCA.  Some 15 million
Lutherans in the world are part of the historic episcopate.
     Some CCM opponents have held a series of regional meetings, and
are planning a constituting convention for the WordAlone Network March
26-29 in Mahtomedi, Minn.
     The Milwaukee resolution was approved by 17 of 18 dialogue
participants.  The Rev. Joseph M. Wagner, executive director, ELCA
Division for Ministry, voted against.  Wagner said the resolution has
the effect of undercutting the action of the churchwide assembly to
approve full communion with the Episcopal Church.  He also told ELCA
News the meeting's dynamics encouraged the group to arrive at "an
apparent accommodation which over-represented a vocal minority
opposition to CCM in the ELCA."
     The resolution's proposals have been widely circulated and have
drawn some questions.
     "'Common Ground' seems to be a strange name for the resolution
because what is proposed  appears not to reflect an understanding of
either the present polity of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
or of our predecessor church bodies," said the Rev. Lowell G. Almen,
ELCA secretary. "To implement what I understand to be the assumptions of
the Milwaukee proposals would require substantial constitutional
changes."   The ELCA Office of the Secretary is responsible for
constitutional interpretations.
     Constitutional amendments to implement CCM were approved by 84
percent of the voting members at the 1999 Churchwide Assembly, Almen
added.
     In interviews after the meeting, views of the dialogue
participants varied.
     The fact that the meeting occurred at all was significant, said
Hanson, who favors CCM.
"Some supporters (of CCM) will say we tipped too close to those opposed
and others will see those opposed will have been heard and their views
articulated," he said.  Hanson said it's "very difficult" to make space
in the ELCA for those opposed to the imposition of the historic
episcopate and not undermine CCM.
     Hanson added he hopes the Episcopal Church will understand that
the issues are internal to the ELCA and that the discussion was aimed at
seeking unity.
     "I continue to support strongly CCM and full communion with the
Episcopal Church," said the Rev. Michael L. Cooper-White, director, ELCA
Department for Synodical Relations and assistant to the presiding
bishop. "I hope the outcome of the Milwaukee conversations might help
ELCA leaders find a way both to honor our church's adoption of CCM and
to enable those opposed to remain within the fold."
     Because the Milwaukee dialogue was not an official meeting,
Cooper-White said he opposed labeling the suggestions as a "resolution."
     The Rev. Bradley C. Jenson, Kenwood Lutheran Church, Duluth,
Minn., attended the meeting and opposes CCM.  The dialogue was "often
heated, but not personal," he said. Jenson said he was pleased with the
suggestions in the resolution.
     "I didn't expect we could get something together to agree on,"
Jenson said. "The meetings actually exceeded my expectations."
     Jenson said he will not remain in the ELCA if the historic
episcopate is imposed on future ordinands.
     Gracia Grindal, professor of rhetoric, Luther Seminary, St. Paul,
also attended and also opposes CCM.  Before the dialogue, she and other
opponents were "wary."
     "It was a very good meeting," she said. "I can always hope and
pray that God's will will be done.  It (the resolution) may go through
and some of it may not.  That may bring something else to consider."
     The Rev. Amandus J. Derr, St. Peter Lutheran Church, New York, a
CCM proponent and dialogue participant, sought to distance himself from
the meeting despite voting for the resolution.  He wrote and circulated
a letter five days after the dialogue.
     "I write to disavow completely any statement that indicates my
support of or agreement with the Common Ground statement," he said.
"This was an imbalanced, non-representative meeting in which a process
was used to create a final product with which I heartily disagree,
although after three days of forceful opposition to both the product and
the process, I didn't properly express my final disagreement with the
statement since I was rushing off to catch a plane."
     His letter also called for ELCA bishops and Church Council members
to be active leaders on CCM.
     Derr added he believes CCM is right for the ELCA.  "In New York,
it's the only thing to do.  We need partners," he told ELCA News.
     The dialogue's participants included Linda Danielson, Zion
Lutheran Church, Des Moines; Derr; Grindal; the Rev. Gordon S. "Tim"
Huffman Jr., professor of Christian mission, Trinity Seminary, Columbus,
Ohio; Jenson; the Rev. Marc Kolden, professor of systematic theology,
Luther Seminary; Dr. Margaret "Meg" Madson, Plymouth, Minn.; the Rev.
Ralph W. Quere, professor of history and theology, Wartburg Theological
Seminary, Dubuque, Iowa; Strommen; Ellen T. Maxson, Hartland, Wis., and
the Rev. Karen S. Parker, Yorba Linda, Calif., both members of the ELCA
Church Council; Cooper-White and Wagner, both with the churchwide staff;
the Rev. Richard J. "Rick" Foss, bishop of the ELCA Eastern North Dakota
Synod; Hanson; the Rev. Donald J. McCoid, bishop of the ELCA
Southwestern Pennsylvania Synod and chair of the ELCA Conference of
Bishops; the Rev. Stanley N. Olson, bishop of the ELCA Southwestern
Minnesota Synod; and the Rev. Peter Rogness, bishop of the ELCA Greater
Milwaukee Synod.
     The dialogue's chaplain was the Rev. Norene A. Smith, Bay Shore
Lutheran Church, Milwaukee; facilitators included Byron L. Tweeten and
William D. Luetscher, Growth Design Corporation.  The Rev. C.
Christopher Epting, bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Iowa, was present
as a resource person to the dialogue participants but was not an
official representative of the Episcopal Church.

For information contact: