From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutherans Reflect on Concerns over the Y2K Computer Problem

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 29 Feb 2000 15:06:49

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

February 29, 2000

LUTHERANS REFLECT ON CONCERNS OVER THE Y2K COMPUTER PROBLEM
00-42-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Internet connects most of the 11,000
congregations and 65 synods of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA), so concerns about computer disruptions when entering the
year 2000 (Y2K) were mixed with theological reflections on God's power
in times of uncertainty.  It is 2000, and Lutheran congregations
reported no Y2K problems, but theological reflection continues.
     "We can be thankful to God for all the good news that Y2K hasn't
caused much in the way of disruptions," said Ray Mueller, project
director for "AD2K: Helping the ELCA Respond in Faith to Y2K."
    The abbreviation "AD" stands for the Latin phrase "anno Domini" or
"in the year of the Lord."  Christians use the abbreviation to number
years since the birth of Jesus Christ.
    "We can also thank all the computer professionals for the hard
work and long hours they put in to get their systems ready for the year
2000," Mueller said in his final update to the project's Web site.
    Mueller offered "some thoughts on having put in time and energy
preparing for disruptions that never came."  He shared some suggestions
of what to do with extra supplies that were stockpiled in preparation
for Y2K problems, and he asked readers to take another look at
devotional materials prepared for use in 1999.
    "No matter how much you prepared or didn't prepare for Y2K, I'd
encourage you to take another look at the reflection 'Faithfulness,
Humility and Unity.'  It was interesting for me to reread it again from
the point of view of the year 2000," said Mueller.  "Much of this Web
site is now outdated, but I don't believe this is."
    Mueller wrote in 1999 about the debate over how much preparation
was necessary.  "Y2K is an issue of uncertainty. There is so much we do
not know about it. God alone knows.  Y2K can help us recognize the need
for humility."
    "We are called, I believe, to be faithful ... faithful to God ...
faithful to ourselves ... faithful and responsible to others ... our
neighbors in the broadest sense of the word -- the poor and elderly,
those in other countries and literally our neighbors next door," he
wrote.
    "Our task force at St. John feels good about the time and effort
we spent," said Margaret Hollowell, St. John Lutheran Church,
Bloomington, Ill.  "We would have been prepared to assist our homebound
members and to staff an emergency site based in the fellowship hall.
    "We provided good information to the congregation on emergency
preparedness, encouraged members to take Red Cross First Aid and CPR
classes, and collected food which has been taken to food distribution
agencies; and we got to know each other much better as we prayed and
worked together," she said.
    "For me it brought reflection about simple and fundamental things
in my life that I had long since taken for granted," said Paul Snider,
Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Salem, Ore.  "It brought about a personal
exercise in learning to trust God."
    In his final report, Mueller said, "Y2K continues to be an
opportunity to grow in our service to those in need.  Excess stockpiles
can be given away.  More than that, we can remember as Christians that
there are always needs that call for our care and generosity."
    Mueller points the reader to an ELCA Web page which suggests that
congregations continue to store bottled water, generators, bleach,
batteries, flashlights and tools for disaster preparedness.  It
recommends that canned, boxed and packaged foods be donated to local
food pantries, that clothing and blankets be given to Lutheran World
Relief and that cash reserves be shared with the ELCA World Hunger
Appeal.
    "I am grateful Y2K has gone exceedingly well," said Johanna Olson,
assistant for ELCA Domestic Disaster Response.  "The spirit of AD2K --
that of fellowship and community -- has contributed to some churches the
spirit of being prepared to care, of reaching out to their community, of
assessing their resources to share."
    "As the AD2K project concludes, we hope that its emphasis on
growing in our trust in God, our emergency preparedness and our service
to those in need has been of help to you in your responding in faith to
Y2K," said Mueller.
    The AD2K project began when several members of the ELCA's New
Jersey Synod saw a need to help Lutherans deal faithfully with the
uncertainties of Y2K.  The ELCA Division for Church in Society and its
Domestic Disaster Response program joined the effort, making AD2K a
churchwide communication initiative.
-- -- --
    The "AD2K: Helping the ELCA Respond in Faith to Y2K" Web site it
located at http://www.elca.org/dcs/ad2k or
http://www.concentric.net/~logmnj/ad2k/

For information contact: