From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Africa University reaches out to flood-ravaged neighbors

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 02 Mar 2000 14:24:17

March 2, 2000 News media contact: Linda Green·(615)742-5470·Nashville, Tenn.
10-31-71B{111}

By Andra Stevens*

MUTARE, Zimbabwe (UMNS) - Students and staff at Africa University are
responding with cash and in-kind donations to their flood-ravaged and
waterlogged neighbors in Mozambique, South Africa and Zimbabwe.

Torrential rains and flooding from Cyclone Eline have left large sections of
the three countries under water. At least 371 people are reported dead, and
hundreds of thousands have been left homeless, stranded and hungry since the
rain began falling three weeks ago. New flooding is frustrating efforts to
distribute food and water, and thousands are at risk from water-borne
disease, malaria and hunger.

All of the staff members at United Methodist-related Africa University have
pledged to donate a day's salary to aid disaster victims. The 871 students
are contributing Z$100 (US$2.63) each from their student union fund. The
school expects to gather nearly Z$1 million (US$26,316) for relief and
humanitarian efforts in the three countries. Clothing, shoes and blankets
are also being collected for the relief effort.

"Africa University is being built through the selfless giving of people we
have never seen, so much is expected of us," said Professor Rukudzo Murapa,
vice chancellor at the university. "We must lead by example in giving to
others."

Africa's response to the current suffering was too slow and too little, with
only the South African and Botswana governments sending help to Mozambique,
Murapa said. "What are we doing as churches, governments, institutions,
businesses and individuals to help our neighbors?"

Classes and regular business were suspended at mid-day on Feb. 29 as the
university community met to plan its response to the crisis.

The Rev. Shirley DeWolfe, the World Council of Churches regional coordinator
for ministry with uprooted people, reported that the situation in the
affected areas was dreadful and the tragedy was building momentum. DeWolfe
had just returned from visits to Mozambique and South Africa to assess
critical needs and help articulate the churches' response.

Theology student Sophrina Sign gave a moving sermon based on Matthew 5:7.
"Love is not love," she reminded the community, "until you give it away."

"The fact that we are an international community makes us vulnerable every
time there is pain anywhere on the continent," said the Rev. Kingston
Kajese, a member of Africa University's outreach committee. "We have been
involved in disaster and emergency management training, and some of our
members are directly affected. How can we do nothing?"

Since June 1998, Africa University has trained more than 100 midlevel
emergency field officers from 25 African countries. The training project, to
build African capacity to respond to and manage disasters and emergencies,
is a collaborative effort that involves an ecumenical humanitarian network
called Action By Churches Together (ACT) and the United Methodist Committee
on Relief (UMCOR).

UMCOR has airlifted 750 new blankets, 10,000 doses of oral re-hydration
salts, 800 packs of mosquito netting, 1,060 bars of emergency survival
rations, 65,100 servings of dehydrated diced potatoes and two
water-purification units to Mozambique. The agency is also forwarding money
to help buy medicine and other items, and it is preparing another shipment
of supplies. The Mozambican town of Chaqualane is expected to become the
base of operations for relief efforts since many flood victims have already
gathered there.

"This is a situation where we are in the front line ourselves," Kajese said.

In addition to working with UMCOR and ACT, the university is linking up with
other relief and humanitarian aid agencies to offer in-kind and technical
assistance. Two staff members are part of a Christian Care Zimbabwe survey
team visiting communities in Manicaland Province, Zimbabwe, to assess flood
damage.

The school is also working on a proposal to adopt an affected community and
to assist in its recovery by providing technical know-how and other
resources.

United Methodists can support UMCOR's response to Mozambique through
donations to UMCOR Advance No. 156500-0, designated either "Mozambique" or
"South Africa." Checks may be dropped in church collection plates or mailed
directly to UMCOR at 475 Riverside Dr., Room 330, New York, NY 10115.
Credit-card donations can be made by calling (800) 554-8583.
# # #

*Stevens is director of information at Africa University.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org