From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Adventist World President Speaks to Media

From APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com
Date 04 Mar 2000 07:27:00

in Mexico

March 5, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Adventist World President Speaks to Media in
Mexico; Participates in Festival of Celebration

Poza Rica, Mexico.   At a press conference held
on February 12 during his visit to participate in
a major Church celebration, Pastor Jan Paulsen,
president of the Seventh-day Adventist Church,
spoke to the Mexican media of his hopes and
concerns.

Answering a question as to the Adventist Church's
involvement in politics, Paulsen said that the
Church had a different approach.

"Adventists do not have a political agenda but a
people agenda," said Paulsen. "We support those
who are aiding people and improving their quality
of life. To illustrate: we have the second
largest education system world-wide, we fund and
operate healthcare institutions, and we are
committed through the Adventist Development and
Relief Agency (ADRA) to all kinds of humanitarian
aid. I am pleased that the Church and ADRA were
able to assist in the floods experienced in this
region back in October, with church members
operating feeding stations and ADRA providing a
major re-housing and building program."

Asked the reason for his visit, Paulsen said that
it was to participate in the baptismal festivals
in both Poza Rica and Catemaco, demonstrating the
world Church's support at such occasions. "Why
are we here? To be part of the great celebration
of faith in this area, to participate in the
baptismal services, to show the world-wide nature
of the Adventist Church that so many are joining.
We are here to present Jesus Christ as the only
hope for now and for the future."

Paulsen also responded to a question regarding
the media's role in declining standards of
morality in society. "Does the media have a
responsibility for the decline in the morals of
society? Yes, the media does contribute. Everyone
who is communicating owes it to the public to
examine the diet they present. They should not
provide just junk food that is destructive to
society. They also need to present material that
builds up society and promotes moral and ethical
values. We trust that Adventists represent and
communicate good values, ethical standards and
morality."

Later Paulsen joined Pastor David Javier Perez,
leader of the Adventist Church in southern
Mexico, and Pastor Juan Andrade, leader of the
Church in north Veracruz and Hildago, to
officiate at the baptismal service in Poza Rica.
Speaking at the service, Paulsen explained the
meaning of the ceremony.

"Baptism means you bury your old life. You rise
to newness of life with Jesus. Today you have
declared to the public, yourself, and the Lord,
'I am finished with the past-I want to live a new
life.' We need to leave the past behind. There's
no time to look back. If we do, we fail to move
forward. The future is for those who fix their
eyes on Jesus Christ."

The visiting Adventist delegation had the
opportunity to meet a number of key civil
leaders, including the local state deputy, Dip.
Jorge Elias Rodriguez. Members of the delegation
also included pastors Israel Leito and L.V.
McMillan, president and communication director
respectively of the Church's Inter-American
Division. The Adventist Church in Mexico numbers
some 500,000 baptised members.