From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Spain: Evangelical entrance in media is a

From APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com
Date 04 Mar 2000 07:27:58

spiritual battle

March 5, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland

Spain: Evangelical entrance in media is a
spiritual battle, said Hispanic leader

Madrid, Spain.  The entrance of Evangelicals in
mass communication media is "to enter a battle
field" said Pedro Tarquis, responsible for
Communication Media for the Spanish Evangelical
Alliance (AEE) and the Federation of Evangelical
Religious Entities of Spain (FEREDE).

In a conference that took place in the historic
El Porvenir School in Madrid, Tarquis noted that
Evangelical access to the media is difficult
because "we are unknown, religion is of no
interest and is badly viewed socially, there are
prejudices and interests," he said.

Moreover, internally "we Evangelicals have
distanced ourselves from the importance of this
field where there is no experience, interest,
representation or contacts," he said. In fact,
some tend to see it as "carnal."

We are entering a field of enormous impact and
influence where a true spiritual war is unleashed
to keep us from accessing a place where we can be
a respected, trustworthy source of information,
he said.

Tarquis' conference, reported ICPRESS, a news
agency that has replaced Gabipress, was entitled
"The Spiritual Battle in the Communication Media"
and forms part of work carried out by the Spanish
Evangelical Alliance last February 25.

The Gospel is fundamentally communication and sin
is the breakdown of this communication between
God and the human being, said Tarquis.

On the economic front, a media can emerge in
faith, thanks to offerings, collections or the
work of participants but it is highly dangerous
to remain in this line. God must support a stable
foundation, if this does not happen then we
should rethink our proposal and see if the vision
and time are right. Making money cannot be one of
the main activities of a Christian media, he
said.

Tarquis noted that power and fame are instruments
that the media use in their work and are not bad
things. Jesus did not seek power and fame but did
not reject recognition from men and woman. He did
not seek or expect recognition from people, but
from the Father. However, we must also be willing
to renounce this power and glory as long as it
means we are not negating the testimony of God,
he said.

Sometimes we see a journalists as the enemy or
someone suspicious. The majority, he said, are
honourable with values and principles that go
beyond those of believers. With people like this
we spark natural friendships that should be
cultivated. Sometimes, he said, we seek to use
the media but not be used. However, we must be
accessible and receptive. [Contribution of
Agencia Latinoamericana y Caribena de
Comunicacion/ALC]