From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Women of Color Clergy Gather to 'Retreat, Refresh and Renew'

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 13 Mar 2000 20:03:01

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 13, 2000

WOMEN OF COLOR CLERGY GATHER TO 'RETREAT, REFRESH AND RENEW'
00-055-BW

     SAN ANTONIO (ELCA) -- "Women of God: Caring for Mind, Body and
Spirit," was the theme that brought 53 of the 94 women of color clergy
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) here Feb. 24-27.
     "This gathering was an opportunity for ordained women of color to
come together for a weekend of renewal and affirmation," said Charlotte
D. Williams, director for cross-cultural advocacy, leadership
development and budget for the ELCA Commission for Women, Chicago.
Williams was coordinator for the gathering.
     "Some of us sometimes feel alone in the woods.  In the midst of
the pain we know that joy comes in the morning," said the Rev. Michelle
L. Robinson, United in Christ Lutheran Church, Chicago, at the opening
worship service.
     "God knows our fatigue and our weariness and our victories.  God
has given us gifts; we are held accountable to nurture those gifts, she
said.
     Participants spent time focusing on how and what they need to
become and, and how to remain energized.  Participants were led in
conversation and meditation.
     "I always enjoy coming into the presence of sisters," said the
Rev. Yvonne Delk, United Church of Christ, Norfolk, Va., another
facilitators                  .
     "We come to this place in the power of whose we are.  In the faces
of each and everyone of you I see God," she said.
     "Powers and principalities try to diminish God's gifts," Delk told
the gathering.  "They block us from being able to give and receive
gifts.  When God's gifts are rained upon us we are empowered to move
forward.  We receive them in a way that liberates and moves us to be
free."
     In small group settings, participants discussed internalized
oppression they feel, access to pastoral calls, readiness for women of
color clergy in ELCA congregations, the on-leave from call process,
serving in unhealthy congregations, burnout and potential networking
strategies.
     "The process has been difficult, but now I feel I am in the right
place at the right time," said the Rev. Asha George-Guiser.  Ordained 18
years ago, George-Guiser is now assistant to the bishop for leadership
development in the ELCA Southeastern Pennsylvania Synod.
     "It took 15 years for me to realize my gifts; now I am in a place
where my gifts are generally received well," she said.
     "I have had a long painful process but I have had the support of
some of the seminary faculty, mentors and other women of color clergy to
help me through the process," said Barbara Kearse, a student a Lutheran
Theological Seminary at Philadelphia.
     "I am anxiously anticipating a call to a vibrant, multicultural,
multi-economic congregation.  I remain prayerful that I do not become a
statistic with other women of color who have had to wait years for a
call, and others who have had to re-enter the candidacy process because
time ran out before they received their first call," Kearse said.
     One ELCA pastor spoke of her concerns of taking a non-stipendiary
call to remain on the clergy roster.  In order to be considered for a
congregational call, an ELCA pastor must be on an active roster of
clergy.
     Some women shared stories of the pain they have endured in
unhealthy congregations.  Some equated the situation to being sent into
a "lions den" with the synod sitting back with a "wait and see if they
survive" attitude.
     Others shared stories of renewal and newfound hope.
     "I really appreciate the purposeful and steadfastness of the
group," said the Rev. Adisa Armand Miller, San Francisco, of the
gathering.  "It touches people through the heart and gives a sense of
joy.  Even though there is pain, we know that joy comes in the morning,"
she said.
     Participants discussed possible strategies that could help women
of color clergy empower one another:
     + Establish a comprehensive tracing system of women of color
attending ELCA seminaries and form a seminary "pals" program.  This
program would pair ELCA women of color pastors with seminary seniors of
color to help them with the ordination process;
     + Appoint regional representatives to disseminate information
     + Establish an emergency fund to assist seminary students and
pastors on-leave from call;
     + Hold annual regional gatherings;
     + Develop networks among women of color clergy;
     + Advocate for women of color clergy in the on-leave from call
process.
     The ELCA currently has more than 11,000 ordained clergy on its
roster, of that 11,000 approximately 2,000 are women and only 94 are
women of color.
     Gathering participants were presented with the document, "A
Challenge to Partnership: Women of Color Clergy in the ELCA to Our
Bishops and ELCA Executive Staff."
     "The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America falls far short of the
inclusive church we hope to be.  Women of color clergy in the ELCA
survive pervasive sexism and racism to become ordained.  Having come
through this experience we bear gifts to help our church become the
embracing church God intents it to be.  We challenge you to partner with
us to realize that hope," the summary of the document states.
     "A Challenge to Partnership" offers several recommendations on how
women of color clergy can assist the ELCA in becoming a true
multicultural church, and how the church can assist women of color
clergy, including: intentional dialogue, practicing intentional
hospitality toward women of color clergy, anti-racism training,
diversity training and ongoing education and support for women of color
clergy.  The document is the result of planning meetings, conversations
and gathering of women of color clergy over a five year period.
     "People are afraid to talk about racism and differences, or even
talk about there being a problem.  Denial plays a huge role in the
racism that exists in this church," said the Rev. Janice Segaran
Bruning, Faith Lutheran Church, Sidney, Mich.  Bruning is an anti-racism
trainer for the Lutheran Human Relations Association.
     Sensitivity training is needed, starting at the seminary level,
said Bruning.  There have been voluntary sensitivity trainings, but
generally the attendees are not the ones who need the training.  More
intentional training is needed and is being addressed, to a degree at
least, on the churchwide level, she said.
     "My own experience was that of being Spirit-guided.  There were
times during seminary that I wanted to leave, but the Spirit told me to
stay; other classmates and clergy of color helped me to stay.  I see
more women of color coming in.  Those who are guided by the Spirit will
stay, and they can be mentors to those who come after them," she said.
     "There are some very real prejudices that exist in the church and
in society," said Dr. Grace Wong, psychologist at South Beach
Psychiatric Center,  New York.
     Women of color pastors have to work harder to overcome stereotypes
and other peoples' expectations of what or who is a pastor, she said.
     All pastors need an outlet, some place to laugh and talk and share
their feelings, Wong said.  "Some of  these women have shared very
personal issues ranging from family life to dealing with difficult calls
at congregations."
     "It would be helpful for the sending agency to know what dynamics
a new pastor is being sent into and to prepare the incoming pastor
adequately so that the experience is positive for both the congregation
and for the pastor," she said.
     "Most women of color pastors expect churches to go through an
adjustment period, if they have never worked with a woman or non-white
pastor.  It would be helpful to find support with the senior pastor or
the bishop.  However, at times the stress may not be from the
congregation but from the existing pastoral staff, who may or may not
work well with the incoming pastor.
     It would be helpful to find some way to assess that and provide
interventions that make the best out of the occasional mismatch of
personalities or human foibles that get in the way of working as a team.
All pastors have a tough job and deserve appreciation and support," Wong
said.
     "My primary job this weekend is to listen.  These are high-functioning
individuals who lead and serve. They are usually people who
provide the answers, so my role is  to listen and to listen in such a
way as to give them something additional to think about.  These are
remarkable women with wonderful gifts," said Wong.

For information contact: