From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Earth Day alternative recommended for Sunday observance

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 14 Mar 2000 12:37:11

March 14, 2000 News media contact: Joretta Purdue ·(202) 546-8722·Washington
10-71B{140}

By United Methodist News Service

United Methodist congregations are being advised to pick another day for
Earth Day Sunday services this year.

The reason is simple. The date for Earth Day, April 22, falls on the
Saturday between Good Friday and Easter Sunday this year. Congregations
might want to hold their Festival of God's Creation celebrations on the
following Sunday, April 30, according to worship materials provided by the
United Methodist Board of Church and Society.

Materials on the theme of "Clean Energy Now" include worship resources
sufficient for a whole service, sermon notes, suggestions for action
projects on an individual or group level, and a list of additional
resources. The materials also include a form letter advocating clean energy
that can be reproduced on to postcards.

The sermon notes focus on global warming, climate change and the
consequences. They are written by the Rev. Sharon Delgado, a United
Methodist minister and executive director of Earth Justice Ministries.

"Each time we install an energy-efficient light bulb, it can be an act of
faithfulness," Delgado writes. "Each time we ride our bike or take a bus or
walk, instead of driving, it is a spiritual victory." She goes on to suggest
that planting trees and being environmentally responsible will make the
world better for future generations everywhere.

About 7,000 of the eight-page booklets have been mailed to church officials
and members of the Peace With Justice and Environmental Justice networks.
Complete copies can be downloaded at no cost from the Board of Church and
Society at http://www.umc-gbcs.org/festival_2.htm, or copies may be
purchased at 75 cents each for one to 19 copies; or 20 cents each for 20 or
more copies. Write to the Ministry of God's Creation, Board of Church and
Society, 110 Maryland Ave. NE, Washington, DC 20002. The telephone number is
(202) 488-5640.
# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at: