From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Domestic Missionary Partnership

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 16 Mar 2000 09:22:37

For more information contact:
Episcopal News Service
Kathryn McCormick
Kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens
2000-056

Domestic Missionary Partnership seeks to forge community

by Dick Snyder

     (ENS) The foundation and form and future of missionary
spirituality in the Episcopal Church were explored at the annual
meeting of Domestic Missionary Partnership (DMP) February 3-6 in
Burlingame, California.

     "Building a missionary spirituality can be a gift to the
larger church," said Rustin Kimsey, bishop of Eastern Oregon and
president of DMP, which comprises 10 dioceses.

     "We help small, isolated dioceses feel that they are not so
isolated and alone," he said. "We provide a communion for those
dioceses to come together, and to enjoy one another and to build
on our friendships."

     Participants listened to an overview of mission and of
authority in the church presented by the Rev. John Kater,
professor of ministry development at the Church Divinity School
of the Pacific.

     "Unfortunately, many times in the church's history, faith is
presented as part of a package, part of a 'whole' which very
often arrived as part of a colonial or imperial package.
Christian faith simply provided the religious underpinning,"
Kater said.  "In that kind of missionary strategy, context is
irrelevant."

     Kater argued that context--utilizing conversation and
interaction with those involved in the missionary strategy--is
essential.  He said that prior to the last Lambeth Conference,
"the Anglican Communion never tried to realize what diversity
means for us.  Lambeth permanently changed the Anglican
Communion.  We will never be able to ignore context again. "The
best kind of evangelism is where we learn from our past, our
mistakes, and where people make of themselves open, inviting
communities," he added.

Total ministry

     Bishop Steven Plummer of Navajoland agreed with Kater's
presentation about missionary efforts having been made in a
colonial or imperial package.

     "In the Navajo experience, missionaries came from the
government," Plummer said. Those missionaries discouraged use of
the Navajo language, ordered children to cut their hair, and
tried to make them dress and look "like Anglos," he said.

     "You have to be the victim of that kind of experience to
understand," he noted.  "We now wrestle with how to forgive those
who harmed our ancestors. We have to forgive each other and move
forward."

     Many of the member dioceses of DMP have embraced the concept
of total ministry, also known as mutual ministry or collaborative
ministry in which, the ministry of all the baptized is recognized
and affirmed.

     Kater praised the role of total ministry in "claiming the
fact that the authority of the community belongs to the
community.  Ultimately, authority in the church is Christ's, and
that is shared with the whole community."

Gospel-Based Discipleship

     A practical missionary application was presented to the
participants by the Rev. John Robertson, interim national  staff
officer for Native American ministry.  He spoke about Gospel-
based Discipleship (GBD), a practice he described as being
borrowed from the Maori, native people in New Zealand.

     He explained that each day, participants--lay and ordained--
join together to read and reflect on the Gospel, and then share
what the Gospel is saying to them.  And then they share what the
Gospel is calling them to do.

     Robertson said that GBD "is not meant to be a program; it's
a people-to-people thing.  It is not the messenger who is
important.  It is the message.  It's not Bible study; it is
Gospel engagement." Where it is in use, it is "re-bubbling-up
leadership.  What happens is that people begin to emerge as
leaders.  After consistent use, it turns to amazement and
transformation, and then to empowerment of their people," he
said.

     GBD is in daily use at the diocesan office of the Diocese of
Alaska, explained Mary Parsons.  It was instituted there by the
diocesan bishop, Mark MacDonald.

     "I have found my own prayer time to be more frequent, and
better quality," she said.  She added that GBD can be used
"across denominations and cultures."

     Robertson concluded that "through determining what the
Gospel is saying to us today...that gives us a basis for missionary
strategy."

     Kater  praised the concept of GBD.  "It is a way of inviting
the community to reflect on the community's book.  It's a way of
listening to each other, a way of communion.  And it helps to
hear things that we might not hear for ourselves," he concluded.

     Bishop Vernon Strickland of Western Kansas, president-elect
of the DMP, agreed the meeting was helpful.  "This meeting is
lifeblood for us in Western Kansas.  We have more in common with
the people here than with any other group in the church."

     He added that he felt invigorated by the meeting. "I am not
interested in 'maintaining,'" he said.  "I am interested in
mission."

     Bishop Keith Whitmore of Eau Claire, who was attending his
first DMP meeting, said, "It was wonderful. After three quarters
of a year, sort of wandering around in the new office of bishop,
it's nice to leave here with some sense of direction and
connection."

     DMP member dioceses are Utah, Idaho, Eastern Oregon, Western
Kansas, Navajoland, North Dakota, Alaska, Nevada, El Camino Real
and Eau Claire.

--Dick Snyder is a freelance writer who lives in Nevada.