From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran and Episcopal seminaries enthused about ministry

From Daphne Mack <dmack@dfms.org>
Date 16 Mar 2000 09:27:39

For more information contact:
Kathryn McCormick
kmccormick@dfms.org
212/922-5383
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens
2000-054

Lutheran and Episcopal seminaries enthusiastic about shared
ministry

by Bruce Parker

     (ENS) More than 100 Episcopalian and Lutheran participants
gathered on February 29 and March 1 at The General Theological
Seminary in New York City for a major conference on the future
shape of shared ministry in an urban setting. Sponsored by GTS
and the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia, "Common
Mission in the City" drew sizable numbers of seminarians and
professors from both schools, along with the administrative
leaders of both institutions.

     The conference began with the Holy Eucharist on the evening
of February 29 at which Bishop Steven Bouman of the Lutheran New
York Metropolitan Synod was the preacher. Following dinner, the
conference formally opened with a lecture by the Rev. Philip D.W.
Krey, president of the Lutheran seminary.

     The following day participants heard from a variety of noted
congregational clergy and from faculty members from both
seminaries. Afternoon workshops were held on subjects including
Liturgy and Spirituality, Social Witness, and Diaconal
ministries.

New lessons

     "We need to get on with common mission," said Krey in his
opening address, "because God has placed a whole new set of
issues before us....We need to be ready for the new lessons that
full communion, shared ministry, and common mission will bring."
With success stories of cooperative ministries from the Rocky
Mountains to Philadelphia illustrating his remarks, Krey insisted
that churches with a state church heritage--which both the
Episcopal and Lutheran churches share--are also called to urban
mission because they expect and insist that municipal, state, and
federal structures provide services to their constituents.

     "Many Lutheran and Episcopal churches have remained in our
depressed urban communities after other mainline churches have
left," he said.

     While being careful not to minimize the importance of
theological discussion, Krey said he believes U.S. culture is
experiencing a religious revival and that the opportunity for the
increased evangelism offered by common mission with theological
depth must not be missed. Exciting and productive forms of
cooperative ministries are going on right now, he asserted, and
they must continue and grow.

Historic celebration

     Following presentations by Archdeacon Michael Kendall of the
Episcopal Diocese of New York, and the Rev. Dr. Pamela Cooper-
White, an LTSP professor, participants gathered in the seminary's
chapel, which was filled almost to capacity for a historic
celebration of the Holy Eucharist.

     Krey was the celebrant and Mark Sisk, bishop coadjutor of
New York, was the preacher. The liturgy symbolized the
seminaries' growing cooperation, marking the first time the
Lutheran Book of Worship had been used in the Episcopal chapel's
112-year history. "The enthusiasm for shared ministry between our
churches has been strongly present throughout this conference,"
said General's dean, the Very Rev. Ward B. Ewing. "We hope events
like this will help to generate similar enthusiasm throughout our
churches."

     In 1998, General signed a seminary covenant with LTSP, which
committed the schools to jointly plan academic and social justice
programs.

     Plans for a joint Hispanic ministry between the seminaries
are currently underway.

--Bruce Parker is director of communications for The General
Theological Seminary.