From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

"Million Mom March" to Emphasize Need for Handgun Legislation

From Worldwide Faith News <wfn@wfn.org>
Date 16 Mar 2000 17:46:20

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS SERVICE
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Web: www.abc-usa.org
Richard W. Schramm, Director
  E-mail: richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

'MILLION MOM MARCH' TO  EMPHASIZE NEED
FOR HANGUN LEGISLATION

  American Baptists are supporting the "Million Mom
March," an event expected to draw hundreds of thousands of
women to Washington, D.C. on  May 14--Mothers' Day--to
highlight the need for common sense handgun control
legislation.

  Event organizers hope to "send a loud, clear,
prophetic message to Congress" about that need.  They are
advocating for legislation that would include a sensible
cooling off period and background checks; the licensing of
handgun owners and registration of all handguns; safety
locks on all handguns; the limiting of purchases of handguns
to one per month; and a no-nonsense enforcement of gun laws.

  "This movement is not about rifles, hunting or law
enforcement.  This is about handguns.  The sole purpose of
these guns is to kill people," organizers have noted.
  The Rev. Jenny Hulen, an American Baptist chaplain at
Sparrow Hospital in Lansing, Mich., will be one of the
participants.  "The important thing is to act," she said.
"We have watched too many children die.  We have seen too
many funerals, too many debriefing sessions.  We ask
ourselves 'Why?' and forget the lessons we try to teach our
children--that every action has a consequence.  These deaths
are the logical consequences of our actions as a nation and
of our legislature.  It must stop."

  "We must join our voices with sisters and brothers
nationwide in the prophetic call the peace," Hulen said.
  American Baptist Churches USA General Secretary Daniel
E. Weiss has joined with others in supporting the "Million
Mom March."  "I wish you every success in your witness
against the shameful and frightful proliferation of guns in
out country," he noted.

  "The number of children who die each year as a result
of gunshot wounds is a profound family tragedy and a
national disaster," said Dr. Richard Sutton, director of
Family Life Ministries for National Ministries, American
Baptist Churches USA.  "We encourage American Baptists to
join this march as one way to express our grief and
concern."

  More information on the march is available by calling
1-888-989-MOMS or on the World Wide Web:

www.millionmommarch.com.

3/14/00
WFN314A

  -0-