From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Pastoral Letter Formally Transmitted to Episcopal Church

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 17 Mar 2000 22:22:16

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 17, 2000

ELCA PASTORAL LETTER FORMALLY TRANSMITTED TO EPISCOPAL CHURCH
00-JB

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Rev. H. George Anderson, presiding bishop of
the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), formally transmitted
to the presiding bishop of The Episcopal Church the text of a pastoral
letter from the ELCA Conference of Bishops.  The bishops' letter,
adopted March 6 in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., addressed the implementation
of "Called to Common Mission" (CCM), a Lutheran proposal for full
communion with the Episcopal Church.
      The ELCA bishops' letter, addressed to the ELCA's 5.2 million
members, was intended to address concerns about the proposal.  Some
Lutherans oppose CCM because it requires the ELCA to adopt the historic
episcopate, a succession of bishops as a sign of unity back to the early
Christian Church.  The bishops' pastoral letter suggests the possibility
of discussions for exceptions to a CCM proposal that a bishop preside at
all Lutheran ordinations.
     CCM was adopted 716-317 by the ELCA Churchwide Assembly in August
1999.  A general convention of the Episcopal Church will consider CCM
when it meets in Denver this July.
     In conveying the text of the pastoral letter to the Most Rev.
Frank T. Griswold III, presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church,
Anderson wrote:
     "Grace and peace to you in the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ as we
begin the Lenten pilgrimage of baptismal renewal and grace.
     "Enclosed with this letter is a copy of a pastoral letter approved
by the members of the Conference of Bishops of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America on the subject of implementation of 'Called to Common
Mission.'  This pastoral letter, while addressed to the members of the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, will certainly find its way, in
whole or in part, into circles of The Episcopal Church as well.  I
therefore want to share my understanding of it with you.
     "This pastoral letter is prompted in large measure by continuing
concerns among some ELCA members about how 'Called to Common Mission'
will be implemented in our church body.  The bishops distinguish between
adoption of the proposal and a subsequent process for discussing one
matter of implementation.  Specifically, the letter mentions the
ordination of candidates to the ministry of Word and Sacrament and the
requirement that all such persons will, after adoption of 'Called to
Common Mission,' be required to be ordained by a bishop in concert with
other pastors.  The pastoral letter urges that conversations be
conducted to discern whether it is possible to allow for exceptions to
this practice in unusual circumstances.
     "As the members of the Conference of Bishops deliberated this
action they wished to make clear that there is:
     "(1) complete support for establishing a relationship of full
communion between our two churches;
     "(2) no intention to undermine the decision of the 1999 Churchwide
Assembly to approve 'Called to Common Mission,' or the bylaw amendments
to the governing documents of this church which were adopted in order to
implement the provisions of 'Called to Common Mission;'
     "(3) an expectation that 'broad consultation' with representatives
of The Episcopal Church will characterize each stage in the
implementation of 'Called to Common Mission' and that no unilateral
action will be taken by this church that will undermine the agreement
for establishing the relationship of full communion; and
     "(4) a pledge of prayers for the delegates to the 2000 General
Convention of The Episcopal Church as they deliberate 'Called to Common
Mission.'
     "I commend to you the prayer for the Holy Spirit which concludes
this pastoral letter.  May it be for you a sign of our commitment to the
unity of Christ's Church especially as together we seek to witness to
that unity through this relationship of full communion between our two
churches.  As always, please be assured of my continued prayers for your
episcopal ministry to the people of God."
Editors: The text of Called to Common Mission can be found on the ELCA's
Web site at
www.elca.org/ea/proposal/text.html. The text of the ELCA bishops'
pastoral letter on Called to Common Mission is at
www.elca.org/ob/ccm.html.

For information contact: