From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

U.S. Surgeon General Praises ELCA Message on Suicide Prevention

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 18 Mar 2000 00:51:01

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

March 15, 2000

U.S. SURGEON GENERAL PRAISES ELCA MESSAGE ON SUICIDE PREVENTION
00-063-FI

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- "The bold message of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA) is a shining example of the important and life-saving
role for the faith community in suicide prevention," David A. Litts
wrote to the Rev. John R. Stumme, associate director for studies, ELCA
Division for Church in Society.  Litts is special advisor to the U.S.
Surgeon General for suicide prevention.
     "I am writing on behalf of Dr. Satcher to thank you for your support
and action in the national effort to prevent tragic deaths and suffering
due to suicide," Litts wrote.  Dr. David Satcher is U.S. Surgeon General
and Assistant Secretary for Health.
     "The Surgeon General's Call to Action to Prevent Suicide" was issued
in July 1999.  The document outlines more than a dozen steps that can be
taken by individuals, communities, organizations and policy makers to
prevent suicides.
     The ELCA Church Council adopted the message on suicide prevention in
November 1999.  "The Church Council welcomes the Surgeon General's call
for a comprehensive national strategy for suicide prevention," said the
message.
     The suicide prevention message encourages members, congregations and
affiliated institutions of the ELCA "to learn more about suicide and its
prevention in their communities, to ask what they can do and to work with
others to prevent suicide."
     "Our efforts to prevent suicide grow out of our obligation to
protect and promote life, our hope in God amid suffering and adversity,
and our love for our troubled neighbor," according to the message.
     More than 30,000 people in the United States commit suicide each
year, and nearly 500,000 people must receive emergency room treatment
because of a suicide attempt, the message said.
     "We will not hesitate to use your statement as an encouraging
example to other denominations and faith groups who want to get involved,"
Litts concluded.
-- -- --
     The full text of the ELCA "Message on Suicide Prevention" is located
at http://www.elca.org/DCS/suicide_prevention.html.
     "The Surgeon General's Call to Action to Prevent Suicide" is linked
to http://www.surgeongeneral.gov/library/calltoaction/default.htm.

For information contact: