From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Lutheran Seminary at Gettysburg Names Cooper-White President

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 07 Apr 2000 10:24:57

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

April 7, 2000

LUTHERAN SEMINARY AT GETTYSBURG NAMES COOPER-WHITE PRESIDENT
00-84-JS*

     CHICAGO (ELCA) -- The Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg,
Pa., has named the Rev. Michael L. Cooper-White to become its 12th
president while the school begins its 175th anniversary this summer.
Gettysburg is one of eight seminaries of the Evangelical Lutheran Church
in America (ELCA).
     The seminary's board of directors elected Cooper-White, 49, at a
special meeting April 6.
     "We are excited about the many gifts Pastor Michael Cooper-White
brings to the office of president of Gettysburg Seminary, including a
collegial way of working together with people, a breadth of knowledge of
the ELCA, a depth of understanding of the issues facing the Church and
the Seminary, a commitment to quality theological education, and above
all a love for our Lord and his Church," said the Rev. Judith A. McKee,
board chair, Grace Lutheran Church, York, Pa.
     Cooper-White is currently executive assistant to the presiding
bishop of the ELCA and director of the ELCA's Department for Synodical
Relations, Chicago.  He served as mission developer of Angelica Lutheran
Church, Los Angeles, and assistant to the bishop of the ELCA's Sierra
Pacific Synod and the Pacific Southwest Synod of the former Lutheran
Church in America.
     The Rev. Kirk W. Bish, assistant to the bishop of the ELCA's
Southwestern Pennsylvania Synod, Pittsburgh, and chairman of the
seminary's search committee, said he saw in Cooper-White a "spirit of
excitement about theological education" and "an effective, competent and
caring administrator, faculty chair and pastoral role model for the
community."
     Born in Fergus Falls, Minn., Cooper-White graduated from Concordia
College, Moorhead, Minn., in 1971, and earned a master of divinity
degree from Gettysburg Seminary in 1976.  He completed a pastoral
internship with the Lutheran Church in Chile, South America.
     "It is with great joy that I embrace this call from God and the
church to return to my 'alma mater' and serve as the 12th president of
the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg," said Cooper-White.  "I
am deeply honored to be invited to serve in partnership with the board
of directors, dean, faculty, staff and student body in leading the
oldest Lutheran seminary in the Americas into the 21st century.
     "I see Gettysburg as the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America's
most historic seminary, whose best day is tomorrow," he said.  "This
great school is well poised to serve the church in the 3rd millennium."
     "LTSG will continue its tradition of making strong contributions
in theological education for laity and in preparing future pastors and
other rostered leaders for our church," Cooper-White added.
     Cooper-White succeeds the Rev. Darold H. Beekmann, who will retire
July 31 after serving 10 years as the seminary's president.  Since 1979
Beekmann had served as bishop of the Southwestern Minnesota District of
the former American Lutheran Church and the ELCA's Southwestern
Minnesota Synod.
     Founded in 1826, the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg
is the oldest Lutheran seminary in North America.  Buildings on campus
played important roles during the Civil War's Battle of Gettysburg in
1863.  The 52-acre campus is located adjacent to Gettysburg National
Military Park.
     Cooper-White is married to Pamela, an Episcopal priest who began
this year on the faculty of the ELCA's Lutheran Theological Seminary in
Philadelphia.  They are parents of three children.  He also enjoys being
a pilot with a commercial pilot certificate and a flight instructor's
rating, and serves as chaplain with the Civil Air Patrol.
-- -- --
     The seminary's Web site <http://www.ltsg.edu/> includes a photo of
Cooper-White at <http://www.ltsg.edu/sem/mcw.jpg>.

EDITORS: "Darold" is the correct spelling.

* The Rev. John R. Spangler is director of communication for the
Lutheran Theological Seminary at Gettysburg.

For information contact: