From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Canadian Support for ADRA Landmine Victim

From APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com
Date 08 Apr 2000 02:12:11

Rehabilitation

April 8, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schaeffler, Editor-in-chief
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
http://www.stanet.ch/APD
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland
07/2000

ADRA Landmine Victim Rehabilitation Receives
Support From Canada

Ottawa, Canada. 06.04.2000/APD    The Canadian
government announced it is contributing more than
US$170,000 to rehabilitation and vocational
services for victims of landmines in Yemen through
the Adventist Development and Relief Agency
(ADRA). Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axworthy
and International Co-operation Minister Maria
Minna announced the contribution on Friday, March
31, during the Canadian visit of Yemeni President
Ali Abdallah Saleh.

"The widespread deployment of landmines is a human
tragedy. They continue to kill and maim men, women
and children long after the end of the conflict,"
Minister Minna said. "The personal cost to the
victims, their families and communities is
overwhelming."

The Canadian government will channel the funds
through ADRA Canada. "ADRA helps landmine victims
deal with their injury and provides them with
physical therapy to learn how to use their
artificial limbs," explains Kay Kierstead, ADRA
Canada communications co-ordinator. "Later, we
teach them how to do a special, stationary trade,
such as accounting or sewing."

"Through this program Canada supports victims of
landmines in Yemen by helping them rebuild their
lives and reintegrate into their communities,"
Minister Axworthy added. "In doing so, we can help
Yemen to come to grips with the deadly legacy of
landmines and assist society in healing the wounds
left by years of conflict." Yemeni officials
estimate that a total of half a million landmines
have been planted in the country over the past 40
years, during periods of civil unrest.

The new funds bring Canada's total contribution to
mine action projects in Yemen to nearly US$1.5
million over the past two years. Funding for this
initiative was reportedly provided for in the
February 2000 federal budget and is therefore
built into the existing fiscal framework. The
local minister, Pastor Orlando Patterson, is
working with other counsellors to try to bring
comfort to a community in shock at the violence of
this tragic event, comments Gordon.  "We
appreciate the support we have received at this
time of sorrow in our community."