From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Comments in 'DCA' underscore differences over homosexuality

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 11 May 2000 12:01:57

CLEVELAND (UMNS) -- An exchange in the Daily Christian Advocate  (DCA), the
official publication of the United Methodist General Conference, illustrates
the tensions between delegates who support and oppose changes in the
church's stance on issues related to homosexuality.

In the May 9 edition, DCA writer Brad Motta quoted from an article in a
Transforming Congregations newsletter, which asked: "Help me understand! Why
would people remain connected to a group who doesn't affirm them or approve
their behavior?"

Transforming Congregations is a movement that believes homosexual
orientation can be changed through Christian faith. The article suggested
that those who don't agree with the United Methodist proscriptions against
homosexual practice might be happier in other denominations that "bless and
approve homosexuality."

In the next DCA issue, 14 members and friends of the church's Northern
Illinois delegation were given space to respond. Their printed comments were
directed to Jim Gentile, a leader in the Transforming Congregations
movement.

"Jim, we're not looking to leave the home and family we love, even as some
do and say the most hurtful things," the one-page letter says. "But that's
what love does. ... Love never gives up. Love never ends. Love never turns
away. Love never fails.

"If you want a church that is literalist in its interpretation of Scripture
and rigidly doctrinal and legalistic about people's lives, Jim, the
Assemblies of God, the Southern Baptists and others open wide their doors to
your narrow views and limited love and measured grace."

In closing, the writers note that the church would be less without those in
the Transforming movement. "God's grace is available here for you, too. We
aren't giving up on you, Jim. If you give up on us, we'll understand and
forgive you. You see, in our family, there will always be room for you at
the table."

It was in the Northern Illinois Annual Conference that a church trial was
held March 25-26, 1999, resulting in a one-year suspension of clergy member
Gregory Dell who had performed a same-sex union ceremony at Broadway United
Methodist Church in Chicago on Sept. 19, 1998.

The denomination's Social Principles include a sentence that says,
"Ceremonies that celebrate homosexual unions shall not be conducted by our
ministers and shall not be conducted in our churches." Dell was elected by
the Northern Illinois Conference as a delegate to the General Conference
meeting in Cleveland May 2-12 but was not allowed to be seated with his
colleagues because of his suspension.

Homosexuality-related issues are being debated this week as the May 2-12
General Conference draws to a close. The conference, which meets every four
years, is the top lawmaking body of the United Methodist Church.
# # #
-- Tom McAnally

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at: