From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

United Methodists wrap up millennium's first General Conference

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 15 May 2000 14:24:36

May 15, 2000 News media contact: Thomas S. McAnally*(615)
742-5470*Nashville, Tenn.  10-21-28-30-71BP{234}
NOTE: Photographs are available with this story. Go to
http://umns.umc.org/gc2000news.

By Robert Lear*
CLEVELAND (UMNS) --- Celebration and contention came in near-equal portions
for United Methodists gathered on the shores of Lake Erie May 2-12 for the
church's first General Conference of the 2000s.
The conference opened to the joyful beat of a band of bishops in the
spectacular Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, and liturgical banners
brightening the plenary hall in the Cleveland Convention Center.
Nine days later, that ornate hall became a confrontation zone with police
placing 30 people, including two bishops, under arrest during a protest of
the conference's vote retaining the church's controversial stance on
homosexuality. It is believed to be the first time police have been called
to remove demonstrators from a conference session.
Celebration and arrests aside, the 992 delegates from the United States,
Africa, Europe and the Philippines, spent most of their time processing
1,600 calendar items of legislation and long hours getting more than 2,000
petitions ready for plenary action.
They sang joyfully under the leadership of Cynthia Wilson, cheered
enthusiastically visiting choirs from the United States, Denmark, Zimbabwe
and Estonia and performers from five United Methodist-related colleges in
Ohio, received with appreciation a sermon by the Archbishop of Canterbury,
and welcomed indications of becoming increasingly a global church.
The legislative items will help chart the 9.6 million-member church's
passage through the next four years. Most of the particulars in the biggest
single proposal for change - the much-discussed Connectional Process Team
(CPT) report -- were overwhelmingly rejected. The General Council on
Ministries, facing elimination in the proposal, was given new life and a
charge to consider the "transformational directions" mapped out in the
report.
Hundreds of changes were adopted for inclusion in the church's Book of
Discipline, and a series of programs for special groups were retained.
Resolutions setting out the church's position on handguns, violence on
television and other contemporary issues received favorable majorities as
delegates pushed the keys on their electronic voting pads.
Prayers were asked for an end to hostilities in Sierra Leone, the
Philippines and the Congo. The U.S. government was asked to halt using the
Puerto Rican island of Vieques as a bombing practice range and also to
support removing the United Nations economic sanctions against Iraq.
Much of the pre-conference discussion centered on homosexuality, a major
issue in the church for almost 30 years. The debate turned into action, some
of it contentious once the delegates and a variety of groups unpacked in
Cleveland.
Special-interest groups set up lobbying efforts in nearby hotels. A delegate
approaching the convention center quickly accumulated a handful of brightly
colored sheets supporting one view or another.
When the major issues related to homosexuality finally came to the plenary
floor on May 11 and an assortment of votes had been flashed on the giant
screen in the hall, most of the denomination's policies had been retained by
a 60-40 margin. One proposal, acknowledging that differences exist in how
church members view homosexuality, was defeated by about 100 votes.
Delegates retained the statement that while homosexuals are persons of
sacred worth, the practice of homosexuality is incompatible with Christian
teaching. Self-avowed practicing homosexuals cannot be ordained or appointed
as clergy, and clergy are prohibited from officiating in same-sex union
ceremonies or allowing such services on church property.
The vote on the "incompatible" language was 628 to 337. The vote on
excluding gay people from the ordained clergy was 645 to 306. Other major
votes were similar.
The protests began with individuals standing in the aisles. A compromise was
reached whereby the protestors could quietly remain in the aisles and altar
area.
That agreement unraveled when demonstrators moved to the platform area.
Bishop Dan Solomon, Baton Rouge, La., who was presiding bowed his head and
then implored the protesters to return to their earlier positions of
kneeling or standing in the aisles.
One of the group said the church has broken the covenant with them and they
felt their actions were justified. Police were called, and 30 people were
led from the hall, including Bishops C. Joseph Sprague, Chicago, and Susan
M. Morrison, Albany, N.Y. A 15-minute recess was called, later extended to
25 minutes
The 30 were charged with disrupting a lawful meeting, according to police.
After hearings May 12, the 30 paid $160 in fines and court costs.
On May 10, Sprague and others related to the conference were among 185
people arrested in a demonstration directed by Soulforce, a coalition of
gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered people and heterosexuals from a
variety of faith backgrounds.
The conference did approve continued dialogue with groups espousing
homosexuality and rejected a proposal that would have required all pastors
to sign a statement professing that homosexuality is not God's will. The
delegates declined to ask the United Methodist Board of Discipleship to
produce materials directed especially toward homosexual persons seeking a
different lifestyle.
Before General Conference began, comments were heard that the church could
split over homosexuality and other issues, but statements by bishops and
others took an opposite view.
"We will be closer together after this conference as a result of our
discussions (on homosexuality)," said Bishop William B. Oden, Dallas, after
being installed as president of the Council of Bishops on May 5.
The Rev. Linda Lee, a district superintendent in Southfield, Mich., told
United Methodist News Service that "facing issues such as racism,
homosexuality, and the need for new directions for the church is the first
step toward the resolution of differences, reconciliation and the ability of
the church to move forward."
Lynette Fields, a lay delegate from Orlando, Fla., said, "I wish I could go
home with only joy in my heart for who we are as United Methodists, but I
also have deep, deep sadness for the pain of exclusion we have experienced
here."
Bishop Woodie W. White, Indianapolis, said that while "we are focused on a
point where our church is in disagreement ... there are many more issues
where we are in agreement rather than in disagreement."
Speaking generally, the Rev. John Ed Mathison, Montgomery, Ala., said he
believes the conference "dealt with difficult and controversial issues in a
very mature manner, and spoke clearly and decisively on these issues ...
(although) tense moments ... brought much pain."
A major event of the General Conference was a service May 4 that included
the symbolic wearing of sackcloth and ashes to confess to the sin of racism
within the denomination.
The act of repentance, together with a call for reconciliation, was an
attempt to recapture the spirit of Methodism lost when some African
Americans in the 18th and 19th centuries felt compelled to leave the
church's predecessor bodies and form their own congregations. Later,
delegates approved a constitutional amendment against racism.
Bishop William Boyd Grove, the Council of Bishops ecumenical officer,
compared the lingering racism to "a malignancy in the bone marrow of the
church," and said: "It's high time to say we're sorry, and only the General
Conference can do it."
Turning to their heritage, the delegates celebrated 200 years of ministry of
the former Evangelical United Brethren Church and its two predecessor
bodies. The EUB and Methodist churches were united in l968, forming today's
United Methodist Church.
In the traditional "state of the church" Episcopal Address, Bishop Emerito
P. Nacpil of the Manila Area said the bishops "believe that the making of
people as disciples of the crucified and risen Lord, and forming them into a
community of discipleship, is the most radically significant event that can
happen to humanity and to the world."
The first bishop from outside the United States to give the address, Nacpil
called on United Methodists to join in working "on the side of the
redemptive against the demonic."
Jim Nibbelink of Milford, Ohio, said in a Laity Address that tradition is
impeding the ability of congregations to engage in active ministry.
Tradition also creates separate tasks for clergy and lay members instead of
bringing them together as partners in making disciples, he asserted.
The visit by the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Most Rev. George Carey,
marked the first time the head of the worldwide Anglican communion has
visited a General Conference. John Wesley, father of Methodism, was an
Anglican rector all his life.
In a major action related to how United Methodism functions at the national
and international levels, the delegates, by a vote of 784 to 144,
essentially scrapped the 53-page CPT report that had recommendations for a
dramatic restructuring of the denomination. However, many directions
proposed by the four-year CPT were referred to the General Council on
Ministries for further consideration.
In other actions related to internal operations and resolutions on issues of
the day, the delegates:
*Voiced their opposition to athletic teams' mascots that demean Native
Americans, such as the Cleveland Indians' "Chief Wahoo" caricature. They
also recommended that future General Conferences not be held in cities where
such sports logos exist.
*Approved, for the first time, language opposing partial birth abortion. The
delegates said they "call for the end of this practice except when the
physical life of the mother is in danger and no other medical procedure is
available, or in the case of severe fetal anomalies incompatible with life."

*Approved $20 million over the next four years for a national television
advertising campaign for the church.
*Elected Rodolfo Beltran of the Philippines as the first member of the
Judicial Council from outside the United States. Other new members elected
to the church's supreme court were James W. Holsinger, Lexington, Ky.; Mary
Daffin, Houston; and the Revs. Larry Pickens, Chicago, and Keith Boyette,
Fredericksburg, Va. The Rev. John G. Corry of Nashville was elected
president; the Rev. C. Rex Bevins of Lincoln, Neb., vice president; and
Sally Curtis AsKew, of Bogart, Ga., secretary.
*Approved amendments to the church's constitution stating, in essence, that
all people are eligible to be admitted as baptized members of the church
upon baptism, and to become professing members "upon taking vows declaring
the Christian faith." The amendments will go to the annual conferences for
ratification in 2001. Other baptism-related material was sent to the General
Conference's Committee on Correlation and Editorial Revision for work.
*Called on the U.S. Congress to remove the exemption in federal law that
allows parents to withhold medical care to their children based on religious
beliefs.
*Funded several new efforts, including theological education in Europe, $3
million; leadership and development ministries among Korean Americans, $2.9
million; the Asian American Language Ministry Study, $1.6 million.

*Funded existing ministries for another four years, including the National
Plan for Hispanic Ministries, $3.2 million; a global program on substance
abuse and related violence, $3.2 million; Shared Mission Focus on Young
People, $3 million; Strengthening the Black Church for the 21st Century,
$2.1 million; ministries with and among Native Americans, $1.1 million;
Communities of Shalom urban ministries program, $1.1 million; ministries
among deaf people, $149,000; and programs for older adults, $450,000.

*Approved $10.1 million in apportionment funding for Africa University in
Mutare, Zimbabwe.

*Approved $113.1 million in apportionment funding for the churchwide
Ministerial Education Fund.

*Heard praise for the church's work in the Habitat for Humanity program.
*Elected Trudie Kibbe Reed, Little Rock, Ark.; the Rev. David Maldonado,
Denver; the Rev. Maxie D. Dunnam, Wilmore, Ky.; and Charlene Black,
Statesboro, Ga., to the University Senate, a peer review organization for
United Methodist-related schools.
*Adopted guidelines for Mormons seeking to join the United Methodist Church.
Among other things, baptism would be required.
*Called for governments to outlaw the "ownership by the general public of
handguns, assault weapons, automatic weapon conversion kits, and weapons
that cannot be detected by traditionally used metal-detection devices."
*Rejected a proposal to eliminate the United Methodist Board of Church and
Society, the denomination's Washington-based social advocacy agency.
*Mandated that the governing board of each churchwide agency include at
least one member from among the three historically black Methodist
denominations.
*Adopted a resolution supporting public education in the United States.
*Approved a resolution counseling compassion for families hurt by suicide
and condemning physician-assisted suicide.
*Created a churchwide budget of $545.7 million for the next four years.
*Projected cost for the 2004 General Conference to exceed $5 million. The
Cleveland session cost was about $4 million.
A few delegates chosen at random were asked by United Methodist News Service
to comment on the conference.
The Rev. Robert Sweet, Reading, Mass., said, "The church is headed south
listing dramatically to starboard. We have desired to be a global church,
but we have allowed regionalism to reign (and) used Scripture to back up our
regional biases."
Ronald Bretsch, an educator from Norwood, N.Y., asked: "Are we speaking in
Cleveland for the whole church and the advancement of God's realm, or are we
speaking and working only for regionalisms and local cultures? Within the
church, a closed canon seems to me to be antithetical to the Wesleyan
Quadrilateral, in which reason, experience and tradition also are
foundational and serve to inform our understanding or interpretation of
Scripture."
The Rev. Beverly L.Wilkes, Springfield, Ill: "I will return home feeling
that I have been faithful in my promise to those who elected me ... to
constantly be in prayer for the healing of our church. In my heart, I feel
healing will come."
Lynette Fields, Orlando, Fla., an outreach ministries director: "I wish I
could go home with only joy in my heart ... but I also have deep, deep
sadness for the pain of exclusion we have experienced here ... (where) we
have chosen not to extend the table for our gay, lesbian, bisexual and
transgendered brothers and sisters. God have mercy on us."
The Rev. Liatu Jacob Kane, one of two ordained clergywomen in the Nigeria
Conference (both of whom were delegates): "We have to tell the truth no
matter the pain and emotional trauma we go through (related to the
homosexual issue). We have to defeat ourselves to let the truth of God
prevail. We are diverse, and for now, it seems, we are in pain, fear and
confusion. But the joy is that we are going through it together ... I know
the Lord ... will see us through."
Bishop J. Lawrence McCleskey, Columbia, S.C.: "This General Conference has
celebrated many wonderful ministries of the United Methodist Church. The
conference leaves us, however, with a continuing challenge: learning to live
together in genuine unity in Christ without demanding unanimity. It is
essential to our unity as a church to recognize that disagreement with the
law of the church is not in itself disobedience to that law. Unified
doctrinal affirmation does not require uniform theological perspective. We
leave this General Conference with the challenge to achieve that unity still
before us."
In the closing worship service, Oden said we are living in a time of culture
wars that threaten our traditional connection. "We are called to be bridge
builders in a disconnected connection."
The 2000 General Conference adjourned just before midnight, May 12. The 2004
conference will be held April 25 to May 7 in Pittsburgh.
# # #
*Lear is retired director of the Washington office of United Methodist News
Service.

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at:
http://umns.umc.org