From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Moms, allies march against gun violence

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 15 May 2000 14:25:36

May 15, 2000     News media contact: Joretta Purdue ·(202)
546-8722·Washington     10-71BP{235}

NOTE: Photographs are available with this story.

WASHINGTON (UMNS) - Moms were not the only participants at the Million Mom
March on the National Mall on Mother's Day, May 14, but women were the
overwhelming majority among the hundreds of thousands there.

The marchers included people from a wide variety of faith backgrounds, among
them United Methodists. The multitude included not only women but also men
and children.

Penny Church of Herndon, Va., put a note in the Floris United Methodist
Church bulletin and coordinated transportation for a group of about 20
adults and children that came to the event.

"It's just shameful in our country that we allow such violence around our
children," she said, while holding her 14-month-old child, Cameron. Her
husband, Steve, was attending to Emily, 4 ½, who had hurt her foot at the
beginning of her subway ride and already had sat or fallen in a mud puddle.
The family's oldest child, Ian, 13, was chatting with other teens from the
church.

Ian's sandwich-board-style poster summed up his opinion: "Children have the
right to attend school without fear of being shot."

"Congress has to hear our voices," said Corinne Lingebach of Fairfax, Va.
She urged passage of federal gun laws to unify the controls throughout the
United States. "We have to protect our children."

"Who would ever have thought we'd have to spend a Mother's Day"
demonstrating for gun controls? she asked.

The day's events followed closely the United Methodist General Conference's
passage of a resolution calling for a sweeping ban on handguns and a wide
range of other weapons. The church's highest legislative body adopted the
resolution May 9. The position calls on the U.S. government and others
around the world to outlaw "ownership by the general public of handguns,
assault weapons, automatic weapon conversion kits and weapons that cannot be
detected by traditionally used metal-detection devices."

With Lingebach were family and friends from Dumbarton United Methodist
Church in Washington. Daughter Michelle, a high school student, commented,
"It's so ridiculous that people are so desensitized to violence." Lacey
Lamano, a friend of Michelle's from youth group, nodded in agreement.

"I'm not asking anyone to give up their guns," said Linda Smalls, also of
Fairfax. "Just use common sense," she said, citing safety locks and other
restrictions. "There has to be some common sense about this."

Chris Anderson, another member of Floris United Methodist Church, said she
felt called to attend despite her 12-year-old daughter's fear that her
mother would be killed in a shooting there. The child was deeply affected by
the killings in the Columbine High School in Littleton, Colo., more than a
year ago. She is still having nightmares and fears for herself and family
members. This has led to many conversations about religion and life,
Anderson added.

Anderson was wearing an enlargement of a cartoon by Meyer for the San
Francisco Chronicle that showed a mom saying to a maternal looking NRA that
the baby Congress has her nose. Both baby and mother have noses shaped like
the end of a gun.

A member of the ASCAP songwriters' guild, Anderson has written a song about
Columbine in which she describes Jesus weeping and the nation's founders
wringing their hands. "Rise up all you parents against tyranny," she sings.
"Don't buy the lie that violence entertains. Someone's making money off the
sons' and daughters' souls."

The event on the mall began with speakers, music and an interfaith worship
service and continued through more speeches and music from two stages.
Weather was perfect: warm sun and cool breeze. And many people had brought
blankets or folding chairs.

Near the day's midpoint, a march to stirring music brought people from near
the Washington Monument east toward the Capitol to the main stage. Led by
drummers and high-flying banners, the marchers resembled earlier armies that
went into battle on foot. However, this was an "army" of peace, including
mothers with children in strollers, fathers with toddlers on their shoulders
and thousands of people carrying signs.

In many respects, the event was like a family reunion picnic, though for
many it was also like a visit to the cemetery where relatives are buried.

Slogans included: "Politics will kill our children,"  "The NRA needs a time
out," "Protect kids not guns" and "I'm the Mommy, that's why!"

Several people wore T-shirts bearing a picture of a child who was shot to
death with the name and date of death. Some carried banners that cited a
name or names and a date. One group passed through the area in single file.
They each carried a sign that was simply a charcoal sketch of a person's
face mounted on black poster board.

"I think it was a success," said Frances Jett, a staff member from the
United Methodist Board of Church and Society who worked to get participation
from within the denomination. "I hope there is some follow-up. If nothing
happens between now and November, I hope people will remember this when they
go to the polls to vote."

The Woman's Division of the churchwide Board of Global Ministries brought
eight of the United Methodist Women conference social issues coordinators
from many parts of the United States to Washington for a weekend of training
and advocacy. They also attended the march and spent the following day
calling on their respective members of Congress.

Both agencies endorsed the event as part of their ongoing focuses on
children.

# # #

United Methodist News Service
Photos and stories also available at: