From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal News Service briefs

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 01 Jun 2000 12:33:04

For more information contact:
James Solheim
jsolheim@dfms.org
212/922-5385
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-097

Tutu to speak at ELCA youth gathering

     (ELCA) Archbishop Desmond Tutu will address a crowd of
45,000 at the Youth Gathering of the Evangelical Lutheran
Church in America (ELCA) this summer. Tutu, who is the
Robert W. Woodruff Visiting Professor at Emory University
in Atlanta, will be among several speakers at the
gathering' s two back-to-back events: June 28-July 2, and
July 5-9 at the America' s Center in St. Louis, Missouri.

     "We know from our denominational partners that young
people make an immediate connection with the Archbishop,"
said Heidi Hagstrom, ELCA associate director for the
gathering.

     Tutu's address will focus on forgiveness and
reconciliation.

     "The impressive and courageous work that Archbishop
Tutu accomplished on the South African Truth and
Reconciliation Commission and his leadership as chairperson
of the Human Rights Violations Committee makes him the most
significant and admired speaker on topics of forgiveness
and reconciliation. Our young people need to hear his words
of wisdom and encouragement as they seek to live out the
gospel of Jesus Christ as Tutu has," Hagstrom said.

     Along with presentations and Bible studies, the
gathering will feature more than 20 musicians and bands.

Debt cancellation is a question of ' justice', Kenya's
archbishop tells Japan

     (ENI) Archbishop David Gitari of Kenya has criticized
Japan for what he called an inadequate response to the
Jubilee 2000 message of canceling the unpaid debts of the
world's poorest countries.

     Jubilee 2000 is an international movement in over 40
countries calling for a cancellation of the unpaid debts of
the world's poorest countries under a fair and transparent
process.

     According to a report, Gitari and two colleagues from
Tanzania and Uganda made the appeal to the Japanese
government but only had "mixed success."

     "We were listened to very carefully, and then in most
cases they were just giving us the official line," Gitari
said.

     The Japanese, according Gitari, argued that they had
already written off about half of the bilateral loans to
HIPC (heavily indebted poor countries). They proposed to
reschedule the remaining debt over 40 years with a 16-year
grace period for making payments which they would then
match with further aid.

     He added, "We were arguing for a question of justice,
to consider the effect on the poor. We are telling them to
think again."

Bishop calls for churches to promote peace

     (ENI) Anglican Bishop Kenneth Fernando of Colombo has
called for all Sri Lanka' s mainstream Protestant churches
to revive long-standing plans to unite, in a bid to promote
harmony in this ethnically divided island.

     Fernando, who is also one of the four presidents of
the Christian Conference of Asia (CCA), based in Hong Kong,
said that the unity of churches was of "paramount
significance" in Sri Lanka where ethnic division had led to
civil war. "Unless we are united, we cannot speak of unity
and reconciliation to the nation," he said referring to the
long-standing conflict between Sri Lanka' s minority Tamils
who want independence from the Sinhala-speaking Buddhist
majority.

     Sri Lanka's mainstream Protestant churches have about
125,000 members, including 80,000 Anglicans.

     Fernando said that "it is not enough" for Protestant
churches to "cooperate with one another" via the National
Council of Churches (NCC). "We have to be a united church,"
he said. "We need to bring all non-Catholic churches
together under the umbrella of a united church."

     The bishop said that attempts to forge a united
Protestant church in Sri Lanka were more than 60 years old.
In 1975 the churches came close to achieving their goal,
but the move to merge the churches was challenged
successfully in court by some of the "affected" church
members. Their plea that the "fundamental rights" of
individual church members would be affected by the "merger"
was upheld by the court.

     Better unity among churches, Fernando said, would
enable them "to play the role of peace-makers more
effectively" in a nation in which Christians remain the
community "least affected" by the ethnic divide.

Sweden' s Lutherans delete anti-Semitic remarks from their

     prayers

     (ENI) The (Lutheran) Church of Sweden is changing some
of the words in its official prayers and omitting verses
from its hymnbooks in an effort to remove all traces of
anti-Semitism.

     According to an article, the changes result from a new
report on Christian-Jewish relations, titled, "The Ways of
God: An Inter-Faith Document of Dialogue" published
recently by a church commission which has studied the
problem since 1995. The report is strongly critical of
anti-Jewish utterances by Martin Luther, one of the leading
figures of the Reformation.

     The report will be discussed in the church over the
next 12 months, after which a decision will be made as to
whether it should be accepted as an official church
statement.

     According to the report, "anti-Semitism has occurred
both in words and in deeds on several occasions in the
history of the church. This contradicts the teaching of the
holy scriptures that all humankind is equal in the face of
God."

     Maria Klasson Sundin, a member of the study commission
said discussion of the report has already led to changes in
prayers and hymns. She pointed to a special Easter hymn in
which the Jewish people are blamed for the crucifixion of
Jesus, a reference that has now been removed. Another hymn
states that "Jerusalem ... you hold the love of God in
contempt and laugh at the sufferings of Jesus," but that
verse has also now been omitted.

     Sundin said that the commission had been set up partly
Jewish people in recent times, notably during the Second
World War and the Holocaust.

     "The church certainly did not speak up enough at that
time…The church should have protested publicly and taken
the full consequences of having a completely different
attitude towards humankind than the Nazis," she said.

     The new report distances itself from Luther's "anti-
Jewish" writings, stating that although Lutherans "have
taken our name and much of our understanding of the
Christian faith from Martin Luther ... we cannot accept or
sign up to the furious attacks made by the reformer against
the Jews."

     The vast majority of reactions to the report had been
positive, Sundin said, although there had been some
negative remarks from the conservative wing of the church,
some of whose members fear that Jesus'  life and death will
lose their unique character if it is accepted that there is
a special bond between the two religions.

     The Jewish community in Sweden has welcomed the
report--and the continuing discussion--as a major step
forward.

Publishing house produces Christian women's magazine

     (ELCA) At its April 14 meeting, the executive
committee of the Augsburg Fortress Publishers, the
publishing house of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in
America (ELCA), authorized an additional budget of $500,000
to launch its new Christian women's magazine, Sunday/Monday
WOMAN.

     According to a report, Sunday/Monday WOMAN is intended
for an ecumenical market. Its articles will focus on
current topics of interest to women, devotions, tips for
living, book, video and music reviews, and motivational
articles.

     Start-up costs for the magazine were not included in
the regular Augsburg Fortress budget for 2000 because
original estimates were deemed too high, said George W.
Poehlman, Augsburg Fortress vice president for finance and
treasurer. Original estimates placed first year costs as
high as $1 million, he explained.

     "Plans for Sunday/Monday WOMAN were revised and first-
year costs were cut in half by reducing the number of
issues scheduled for 2000," Poehlman said.

     The company' s management believes it may be able to
secure as much as $400,000 in grants or subsidies for the
new magazine, resulting in a net cost of as little as
$100,000 this year to Augsburg Fortress, he said. The
$500,000 in start-up costs are "simply the entry fee for
trying to get a new magazine started," said Poehlman.

     "This is clearly an example of a market-driven
product," Poehlman said. "This well fits the mission of the
publishing house."

     After the idea for the magazine was first discussed by
the Augsburg Fortress board last fall, Women of the ELCA,
which produces "Lutheran Woman Today" (LWT), expressed
numerous concerns. LWT has a circulation of about 180,000
and is also published by Augsburg Fortress. The new
publication has the potential to divert attention from
research, growth and development of LWT and impact customer
service, said Catherine I.H. Braasch, executive director,
Women of the ELCA. The women's organization had "repeatedly
expressed" its concerns about the new publication since
1998, she added.

     Women of the ELCA and LWT want a strategic partnership
with the ELCA's publishing house, Braasch said.

     Last fall, the executive board of Women of the ELCA
asked presidents of the 64 synodical women's organizations
of the church, including the executive director and
president of Women of the ELCA, to write letters of protest
to Augsburg Fortress about the new magazine.

     Augsburg Fortress received few letters expressing
concerns about the new publication, said the Rev. Marvin L.
Roloff, president and chief executive officer.

Canada's ecumenical council elects its first Catholic
president

     (ENI) For the first time in its 56-year history, the
Canadian Council of Churches (CCC) has chosen a Roman
Catholic as its president.

     The CCC, which has 19 member churches, elected Andre
Vallee, Bishop of Hearst in northern Ontario, as its new
leader at a May 3-5 meeting.

     Vallee is a member of the Societe des Missions
Etrangeres, a Quebec-based missionary order of priests.  He
has served in a parish and taught at the Minor Seminary in
Davao, Philippines.  In 1973 he was elected general
superior of the society, and in 1979 he became general
secretary of the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops
(CCCB).  In 1988 he was consecrated as bishop for the
Military Vicariate of Canada.  He became Bishop of Hearst
in 1996 and a member of the CCC's governing board when the
Catholics joined in 1997.

     Vallee said, "The big challenge [for the CCC]--and it
is one of my preoccupations--is for us to get to know each
other better in order to dialogue. The ultimate goal is to
achieve unity. I don't think we will achieve unity
tomorrow, but at least we should move slowly towards
unity."

Diocese of Panama finally elects a bishop

     The Rev. Julio Murray was elected bishop of Panama at
a special convention on May 20. He will succeed Bishop
Clarence Hayes. Murray will lead the Episcopal Church of
Panama in a "New Beginning" as the diocese lives into its
recent status as a member of the autonomous Province of the
Iglesia Anglicana de la Region Central de America (The
Anglican Church of Central America), comprised of dioceses
in Guatemala, El Salvador, Costa Rica and Nicaragua. In his
message to delegates at the convention Murray said that he
would place emphasis on four areas: a church rooted at the
juncture of national and international concerns; a church
that is growing; a church that is autonomous but also
interdependent; and a church that is mature and does not
retreat in times of crisis but faces them with creativity
and hope.

Diocese of Maine reaches amicable settlement with dissident
parish

     Bishop Chilton Knudsen of Maine and the Rev. Lester
York, rector of Old St. Paul's Church in Portland,
announced an amicable settlement of their differences on
April 27.

     A lawsuit filed by the bishop against the parish will
be dismissed and the church's property will continue to be
owned by St. Paul's, which has agreed to pay an undisclosed
sum to the diocese for release of claims against the
property by the diocese.

     "I am most pleased that we have been able to witness
the spirit of reconciliation and fellowship which underlies
both St. Paul's Parish and the Episcopal Church," said
Knudsen. "This agreement was reached only with the
determined efforts of all to respect the goodwill and
integrity of the church bodies involved."

     York said that he and the bishop "are well aware that
following our separate paths, although sad, is indicative
of the fact that the body of Christ has many members. We
have pledged to work side by side, although as different
denominations, to follow the commandment that God has given
us all in the great Divine Commission."

     The settlement resolves a struggle between the parish
and the diocese over a period of 24 years, largely over the
ordination of women and the use of the 1979 Prayer Book.

Jan Nunley appointed deputy director of the Office of News
and Information

     The Rev. Jan Nunley of Rhode Island has been appointed
deputy director of the Episcopal Church's Office of News
and Information. "She brings a wonderfully diverse
background in journalism--including extensive work in radio
and television on the local and national level," said Jim
Solheim, director of the office. "And we have worked
together on many projects, including the last three General
Conventions. She is also on the news team for this summer's
convention in Denver," he said.

     In Rhode Island, Nunley was director of diocesan
communications and editor of the newspaper, Risen. She is
also rector of a small parish in Providence, St. Peter's
and St. Andrew's. She is a graduate of Trinity University
in San Antonio, Texas, and Episcopal Divinity School in
Cambridge, Massachusetts.

     Nunley succeeds Kathryn McCormick who has been
accepted for the Master of Divinity program at Union
Theological Seminary in New York.

Presiding Bishop to appear on N.P.R.

     On Wednesday, June 14, 2000 the Presiding Bishop will
be a guest on The Diane Rehm Show. Diane Rehm has
interviewed such figures as Vice President Al Gore, author
Maya Angelou and Archbishop Desmond Tutu.  This is a
nationally syndicated program and winner of numerous
awards.  The show is broadcast live from Washington, D.C.,
at 10 a.m. Eastern Time and distributed by National Public
Radio.  For a listing of affiliates that carry The Diane
Rehm Show, go to http://www.wamu.org/dr/affils.html.