From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal Missions conference in North Carolina

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 01 Jun 2000 12:33:00

For more information contact:
James Solheim
jsolheim@dfms.org
212/922-5385
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-110

Missions conference in North Carolina draws 800
participants

by Peggy Noll

     (ENS) "All our problems: We send to the cross of
Christ…All our hopes: We set on the risen Christ."  With
that acclamation from the Kenyan Service of Holy Communion,
more than 800 Episcopalians from all over the U.S. and
Anglicans from all over the world concluded the New
Wineskins for Global Missions Conference 2000 in
Ridgecrest, North Carolina, on April 30.  Celebrant at the
service was the Rt. Rev. Joseph Wasonga, Diocese of Maseno
West, Kenya.

     "The Wineskins conferences in 1994 and 1997 were
wonderful," reported the Rev. Tom Prichard, director of the
South American Missionary Society USA at the end of the
week, "but this one was more wonderful yet."

     The Episcopal Church Missionary Community in Ambridge,
Pennsylvania, under its director, Sharon Stockdale,
sponsored the conference along with Rock the World Youth
Mission Alliance, which ran a concurrent program for young
people.

     Evening plenary speakers included Bishop Benjamin
Kwashi of Jos, Nigeria; Dr. Paul Marshall, author of Their
Blood Cries Out; the Rev. Miguel Uchoa, rector of the
fastest-growing Anglican congregation in Recife, Brazil;
and the Most Rev. Maurice Sinclair, primate of the Southern
Cone.  Other presenters included the Very Rev. Peter Moore,
dean/president of Trinity Episcopal School for Ministry;
Lisa Chinn, newly appointed director for International
Student Ministry at InterVarsity Christian Fellowship; and
Paul Borthwick, a well-known missiologist.

'We did not feel alone'

     In his opening sermon, Kwashi thanked the many
participants who had sent their prayers and emails to him
in Jos during the recent bloodshed near his diocese in
northern Nigeria, where Christians were being killed by
militant Muslims.  "For the first time we did not feel
alone," he said.  "We felt connected with you and knew that
you were standing with us."

     Kwashi reminded the conference that God had promised
in Isaiah 41 that God's people would rise up on wings like
eagles, would run and not be weary.  "What is this being
'burnt out?'" he chided.  "Too many Christians are like
chickens, their eyes on the ground, pecking around at their
feet.  We have had enough of chicken Christianity!  God
gives us power to soar like the eagle."

     The preacher at the final plenary session on Sunday
morning was the Rev. Dr. Sam Kamaleson of South India, who
has led pastors' conferences for World Vision International
for 25 years. He told a story of a beggar showing that
Christians need to stop clinging to the rags of their old
selves and accept Christ's gift of a new life.  "Our lives
in our own hands, a pain and a problem.  Our lives in God's
hands, a power and a possibility," he said repeatedly as a
refrain to his message.

     The Rev. Kuan Kim Seng of Singapore described the
evangelistic activities that his diocese is carrying out in
Southeast Asia.

     The Rev. Dr. Alison Barfoot from Kansas City in her
evening Bible studies underlined the "mission to keep
mission the mission" of the Church.  "We need to be like
Jesus, who set his face towards Jerusalem and did not turn
aside or turn back."  In the morning Bible studies, the
Rev. Walter Hannum, founder of ECMC, pointed out the need
for scripture and leadership if a people are to continue as
the people of God.  "We need men and women like the men of
Issachar "who understood the times and knew what Israel
should do." (1 Chronicles 12:32)  "Like Paul, we need to
plant congregations that continue to be people of God for
generations."

     A group from Shepherd's Heart in Pittsburgh, an
Episcopal ministry among the homeless in the city, gave
their  testimonies of God's healing, and on Saturday
evening the Rev. Tad deBordenave, founder and director of
Anglican Frontier Missions, led the assembly in a Concert
of Prayer for all the areas addressed on the preceding
days.

Prayer and preparation

     "Two themes kept recurring throughout the conference,"
noted the Rev. Grant LeMarquand, associate professor of
Bible and mission at Trinity Episcopal School for Ministry.
"One was the crucial role of prayer to undergird all
mission.  We have seen that power here at this conference
in the intercession offered for us by a team throughout the
week.  The other was preparation.  You wouldn't want to go
to a surgeon who decided only two weeks ago to be a doctor.
If you sense that God might be calling you to cross-
cultural mission, you need to think seriously about
preparation."

     The Rev. Jane Butterfield, director of mission
personnel at the Episcopal Church Center in New York, spoke
during a plenary session about mission requests received by
her office for both clergy and lay people.  Directors of
independent Episcopal agencies such as Anglican Frontier
Mission, Church Mission Society USA, Episcopal World
Mission, Inc., South American Missionary Society, and
Sharing of Ministries Abroad USA described the
opportunities available through their organizations.

     Before the conference opened, the Episcopal
Partnership for Global Mission was officially inaugurated
at the final meeting of the Episcopal Council for Global
Mission, a 10-year effort of approximately 50 mission
entities in the Episcopal Church. Also, the boards of
Trinity Episcopal School for Ministry and the South
American Missionary Society were convened. The board of
Uganda Christian University Partners held its inaugural
meeting on April 28.

     Fifty workshops allowed people to hear about every
aspect of mission from AIDS and its effect on ministry in
the coming decade to questions about missionary kids; from
ongoing housing projects in Honduras in the wake of
Hurricane Mitch to reaching out to international students.
Richard Parkins, director of Episcopal Migration
Ministries, led two workshops on the church's work with
immigrants and refugees in the United States.

     Each day began with Eucharist, including a service in
Spanish on Friday morning.  Wellspring, a music and worship
team from England, led the singing throughout the
conference and received a standing ovation at the end.  In
between sessions, participants browsed at exhibits from
more than 100 mission agencies and projects, including the
United Thank Offering and the Presiding Bishop's Fund for
World Relief.

--Peggy Noll and her husband, Stephen, will begin
missionary service at Uganda Christian University later
this year.