From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Archbishop of Canterbury and the Sudanese government

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 01 Jun 2000 12:35:13

For more information contact:
James Solheim
jsolheim@dfms.org
212/922-5385
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-091

Carey challenges Sudanese government to make peace a
reality

by Kathryn McCormick

     (ACNS) Declaring that his recent brief visit to Sudan
had left him filled with "the sense of a war-weary country
desperately looking for peace," Archbishop of Canterbury
George Carey challenged Sudanese leaders to demonstrate
their commitment to restoring peace and religious freedom
there. He also issued a clear call to both Muslims and
Christians there to "discover common ground" and work for
peace.

     Carey, who had journeyed to Africa for the April 30
enthronement of the new Anglican archbishop and primate of
Sudan, Joseph Marona, also spoke with government leaders
and visited a refugee camp.

     "I have been talking to a number of very significant
leaders," he told a reporter as he traveled home to England
after the two-day visit. "I came away feeling a sense of a
war-weary country desperately looking for peace--and a
feeling that the government is also beginning to soften its
attitude to some degree. They are very sensitive now to the
image that Sudan has in the rest of the world, an image of
a country where abductions are taking place, and where
there is no freedom of religion, and they're very anxious
to say that that is not the case. My challenge to them is
that we need to have proof of that."

All deserve peace

     In his sermon during the enthronement in the southern
Sudanese city of Juba, Carey called for misconceptions and
misunderstandings to be put aside in the interests of peace
and reconciliation.

     "Some people in the West paint the conflict in Sudan
as one between Christianity and Islam," he said. "Some in
this country claim that Islam is the indigenous faith of
Sudan and Christianity is a western import. Neither view is
true.

     "I do not believe there is any reason either here in
Sudan or anywhere else in the world for Christians and
Muslims to commit violence against one another. There is
every reason to hold one another's faith in the deepest
respect. And even more reason to discover common ground
upon which together you can contribute to the peace process
here. The suffering, the poverty, the effects of war do not
differentiate between religions. All the people of this
beautiful country are suffering and all deserve peace."

     Carey was guest of honor at the enthronement. He
described it as the opening of a new chapter in the history
of the Church in the Sudan.

     The seat had been vacant for two years--largely as a
consequence of the devastating civil war, which is
estimated to have cost more than a million lives and left
several million people homeless and destitute. Much of the
area surrounding  Juba is held by forces opposed to the
pro-Islamic government, and access to the city has been
difficult.

     Carey, making his first visit to Sudan for five years,
rejected discrimination against the country's Christian
minority and appealed to churches to keep working together
for an end to bloodshed and violence.

Call for Christian unity

     "The united witness of Christians in this country is
of prime importance in the search for peace. I know how
difficult life has been in many parts of the North--schools
and churches destroyed, land confiscated and so on. I am
glad to know that Christians of different traditions have
turned out to support one another in their protests when
these wrongs have been committed."

     Carey said there were reasons for hope:

     "I know that for long periods of your recent history,
you have felt abandoned, alone, unloved by the rest of the
world. I do not think that has ever been the case. But I do
understand how, when many have lived your daily lives in
fear of violence, oppression and arrest, the love and
prayers of others can seem a great distance away.

     "However, there has been a distinct growth of concern
in the international community about the persistence of war
in Sudan, and the lack of energy amongst those who are
fighting, seriously, to search for peace. There are now
many around the world who are determined to support the
peace process."

     Carey flew to Juba from the Sudanese capital,
Khartoum, where he had had talks the day before with
government leaders, and preached at an ecumenical service
in the Roman Catholic cathedral.

     He also toured a refugee camp near Khartoum for
thousands of displaced families and visited a school and a
local church.

     "The level of despair was almost palpable," he said
after the trip.

     Despite the government's new attempts to repair its
image, he noted, "There's a feeling on the part of so many
people that the situation is getting worse and worse. I
spoke to some camp elders as well as some very depressed
teachers who told me not only about feeling displaced, but
all the tribes feeling that they are 'rootless trees.' They
are appealing to the wider world to assist them, to pray
for them and send aid, but most of all to bring this
terrible war to an end."

--Kathryn McCormick is associate director of the Office of
News and Information of the Episcopal Church. This article
was drawn from postings by the Anglican Communion News
Service.