From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal Archives

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 01 Jun 2000 12:35:14

For more information contact:
James Solheim
jsolheim@dfms.org
212/922-5385
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-108

Episcopal Archives launches plans for a new research center

by Kathryn McCormick

     (ENS) The Archives of the Episcopal Church are looking
for a new home. After more than 40 years on the campus  of
the Episcopal Theological Seminary of the Southwest in
Austin, Texas, the large (and growing) collections of group
histories, meeting records, letters, photographs and other
memorabilia of the life of the Episcopal Church must move
out of their present quarters to make way for the
seminary's growth. The seminary has set a 2005 deadline for
the archives' departure.

     To the archives' director, Mark Duffy, this signals a
great opportunity.

     "We were already planning to go to General Convention
to ask that a committee look at the options available for a
new space," he said. While the seminary board's decision
last February came as "a bit of a surprise," he added, it
was understandable. By 2005 the seminary's library will
have outgrown its building--even after the archives leave
the library floor they now occupy.

     "The seminary was simply being honest with us," Duffy
said.

     Five years is a relatively short time to find a new
location, draw up plans and move the archives, but the need
has been looming for years, he said. The material in the
collection now fills not only the seminary space but also
two warehouse storage units as well as some space in the
Episcopal Church Center in New York City.

     "Neither the warehouse nor the church center has the
kind of temperature and humidity controls or the security
that  are needed for good document storage," said Duffy,
adding that space is now at such a premium that he and his
staff are being forced to make tough decisions on what gets
sent to outside storage.

     The collection is one that should be treated with
respect, he said.

Conservator named in 1835

     The Episcopal Church was among the first of the
mainline Protestant churches to appoint a conservator,
Francis Lister Hawks, to pull together the young church's
scattered historical artifacts. Hawks went to work soon
after his job was created in 1835, and his collection,
including papers dating back to 1679, is at the heart of
the church's archives today.

     Through the holdings a reader can trace the church's
emerging autonomy, search for identity, and its long record
of global mission.

     Duffy pointed out that today 40 percent of the
visitors who come to do research in the archives are from
countries outside the U.S. "They are people who come to
Austin to study their own history," he said. "It
illustrates that we really are part of a larger communion."

     Because of missionaries' eagerness to record the
cultures of the people to whom they had been sent, the
archives' photograph collection is one of the finest in the
country. A particular area of interest, Duffy said, is the
pictures of native peoples of Alaska.

     "People keep asking when we will digitize those so
they can be available by computer," Duffy said. "That kind
of accessibility is exactly what we're working toward."

     Recent acquisitions included the personal papers of
Bishop John Maury Allin and Bishop John Shelby Spong, as
well as additional records of the administration of
Presiding Bishop Edmond Browning. The archives also
acquired the records of  the Episcopal Society for Racial
and Cultural Unity (ESCRU), an organization that forcefully
confronted segregation in the church; the records of
Integrity, the gay and lesbian advocacy group, and of the
North Conway Institute, an interfaith network of education
and public policy advocacy on the issues of substance abuse
and alcoholism.

Research needs space

     At this point, however, the Episcopal Church, once
nearly alone in launching an effort to preserve church
history, stands alone again as the only major faith group
without a building dedicated to housing its archival
resources, Duffy said. "It doesn't make sense for us to be
a completely stand-alone operation," he said. "We're
looking for space connected with a seminary, a college or a
cultural institution."

     A new 35,000-square-foot facility, he points out,
would accommodate all the archives, with room for digital
conversion of documents and photos so that they are
accessible from anywhere. The space would also allow the
archives staff to organize educational programs focusing on
Anglican and Episcopal Church history.

     "Even though we don't have a separate building, we are
probably further along than many other churches in making
the archives accessible," Duffy said, "but I think we will
make real progress during the next triennium."

     The archives' board will ask General Convention to
support the drive toward improving its electronic
information resources and preservation effort.

     An important step, Duffy said, will be taken during
June, when the archives go online to allow anyone to search
the records for resolutions from previous general
conventions.

     A third resolution will ask that the archives
officially become "a central registry and place of deposit
for the national church's published and printed resources."
The resolution also urges dioceses to deposit copies of
their periodicals and other publications.

     Duffy noted that a larger space would allow the
archives to work more with dioceses and parishes to
document and preserve the church's local stories.

     "It's important to address this," Duffy said of the
archives' future. "So much of our faith is built on text,
on narrative, telling us where we've been. This isn't just
an old, past thing--it's a way of telling new stories."

--Kathryn McCormick is associate director of the Episcopal
Church's Office of News and Information.