From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Sidebar: Interview with a corrections chief

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 01 Jun 2000 12:35:17

For more information contact:
James Solheim
jsolheim@dfms.org
212/922-5385
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-112S

A Corrections chief looks at prison and its ministries

     Ashbel T. Wall--"A.T."-- came to the Rhode Island
Department of Corrections' top spot earlier this year after
serving as an assistant to the director for 13 years. He
inherited a prison system that's come a long way from the
days when lockdowns, riots and inmate "food wars" were the
rule rather than the exception, and which faces some unique
challenges in a state where no one lives very far away from
the community's worst criminals. As a faithful
Episcopalian--and a clergy spouse, married to the provost
of the Cathedral of St. John in Providence--Wall brings an
added spiritual dimension to a demanding public service
position. Jan Nunley, editor of Risen, the newspaper of the
Diocese of Rhode Island, interviewed Wall at his offices at
the Adult Correctional Institution (ACI) in Cranston, Rhode
Island.

     RISEN: This has to be a hard profession for a
Christian to be in.

     ATW: It's a challenging business for anyone to be in.
My faith certainly has shaped my choices. I feel as if
Jesus calls us to use whatever gifts we have in the service
of the Gospel. In my case those gifts include legal
training and opportunities that I've had to work at various
levels in criminal justice. When you read the New
Testament, it is so clear that Jesus is calling his
followers to pay attention to certain areas, and that
prisons are one of those places where Jesus wants
Christians to be.

     RISEN: Part of that call, especially the call to
Jubilee, is to "set the prisoners free." You can't exactly
take that literally.

     ATW: Jesus certainly talks about setting the prisoners
free. He also talks about visiting in prison. One of the
most compelling passages of the New Testament for me is
that famous passage from Matthew, where Jesus asks, "When I
was in prison, did you visit me? For whatever you did to
the least among us, so you did to me."

     There are people here who need to be separated from
the community, because they've been predatory and
dangerous. Societal peace and harmony require that they be
isolated. It's also true, however, that we have an
obligation to prepare our inmates for release, so that they
can be productive and law-abiding. Because they will be out
there, whether they have been made ready or not.

     RISEN: What's the role of faith communities at the
ACI?

     ATW: We have hundreds of volunteers representing all
faiths here--Jewish, Roman Catholic, the Protestant
traditions, Muslims. We have people who function as in-
house chaplains for both the Protestant community and our
Roman Catholic inmates, and for our Muslim inmates.

     As a governmental agency, we don't sponsor religion.
But in my experience, there are some generators in the
lives of offenders that really can and do lead to
transformation, and profound experience of faith is one of
them. For us, it's incumbent on us to make this place very
accessible to people who bring that opportunity to those
inmates who are ready to take advantage of it.

     RISEN: Do you have any problems with certain belief
systems or faith communities?

     ATW: Those faiths that promulgate hatred and division
and racial superiority are security risks, and under the
Constitution, our paramount concern must be security--we
have to provide a place that is safe for staff and inmates.
We do not have to accommodate those faiths if it's a
security threat.

     RISEN: But that requires a certain delicacy of
interpretation on your part.

     ATW: There's always a balance that we're trying to
strike. Sometimes we get it right, and sometimes we don't.

     There's also the reality that a correctional setting
is an artificial one, in which the imbalance of power
invites manipulation. We have to be very careful that good
people aren't manipulated by offenders who have other
objectives in  mind. We train our volunteers, give them
orientations, and try to be alert for situations in which
the risk of exploitation is present.

     RISEN: Have you seen very many inmates who've had a
genuine conversion experience?

     ATW: I have seen it happen. I've also come to a more
sophisticated understanding of the change process. It is
very often a case of two steps forward, one step back. We
have people who leave with every good intention, do well
for a while on the street, but then come back. The question
is, were they crime-free for longer, and when they come
back, can they pick up where they left off so that the next
time they'll make it?

     You can see the signs that somebody is ready to change
when they start to express an interest in programs. Not
just religious programs, but substance-abuse treatment,
anger management, survivors of sexual trauma programs,
parenting programs, learning trades, and a variety of other
opportunities.

     If we're serious about helping those people act on
their good intentions, we absolutely have to give them more
structure and support when they leave the walls behind and
go out into the neighborhoods. One of the hardest things
for somebody who leaves here is that they've often burned
their bridges. Their community ties have been disrupted.
They are subject to tremendous temptations. They have to
make the decision each day to get on that bus and go to the
job instead of going to the crack house that's at the bus
stop. Church communities are so well equipped to integrate
people without judgment.

     RISEN: How can churches prepare to receive someone
who's just been released from prison?

     ATW: The work needs to begin when the offender is
still in custody, so that a released inmate is not coming
"cold" into a community. By and large our offenders work on
the basis of relationships--doesn't everybody? If they meet
someone "cold," it's very difficult for them to make the
decision to reveal what they've done and where they've
been. So there's a temptation to hide it, until such time
as somebody may be ready to hear it. But if a relationship
with a member of the congregation has been forged while the
person is getting ready for release, the chances are much
better. So it argues for having lots of people come in and
get to know our inmates, not only for their offenses but
for their struggles and their hopes.

     RISEN: How do you keep the staff and officers from
becoming cynical or burned-out?

     ATW: When I said that Jesus calls us to attend to
prison and to people in prison, that includes the staff.
Our staff are "in prison" for eight hours or more a day for
much of their lives. I say to some of our people, "You
realize that you'll be in prison for longer than most of
the people you see." It is a hard place to work. It is
difficult to keep your bearings. In a way you feel like
you're dealing with shadows all the time. Yet in survey
after survey, when correctional officers are asked, "What
do you find most satisfying about what you do?", they say,
"It's the opportunity to work with people and help be a
part of changing their lives." By large margins, it wins
out over "guarding the public safety," it wins out over
"enforcing the rules."

     Similarly, when an ex-offender who's doing well is
asked, "Who made a difference in your life?", by large
margins the offender will choose a correctional officer.
It's the correctional officer that's in the cellblock every
day, who knows when they've gotten bad news from home, who
knows when they're getting hassled by another inmate, who
knows when they're feeling despondent. A correctional
officer who has the strength to remain detached but still
be a good listener and a mature and thoughtful giver of
advice is the one who makes the difference.

     RISEN: Would you say the staff members here have a
ministry?

     ATW: I feel as if a ministry is the attitude that you
bring to what you do. I have known people in all lines of
work that have a ministry, and I absolutely think that with
the right attitude, this work--at every level--is a
ministry to the public and to the people that we supervise.