From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal conference says church must transform

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 01 Jun 2000 12:35:20

For more information contact:
James Solheim
jsolheim@dfms.org
212/922-5385
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-111

Conference says church must transform itself to transform
the world

by Karen D. Bota

     (ENS) The church must change its models of leadership
and ordination if it is to change the world, the Rev. Dr.
Sheryl Kujawa, associate professor of pastoral theology and
director of congregational studies at Episcopal Divinity
School, told participants at the "Women and the Church:
Leadership and Spirituality" conference held in early May
at Ann Arbor, Michigan.

     Co-sponsored by the Diocese of Michigan's chapter of
the Episcopal Women's Caucus and EDS, May 5-7 at St.
Andrew's and St. Clare's Episcopal churches in Ann Arbor.

     Some 60 women and a handful of men gathered Saturday
morning to hear Kujawa speak on transforming lay leadership
of women in a patriarchal church, and the future of
ministry and leadership after women's ordination. They then
heard Dr. Kwok Pui Lan, professor of Christian theology and
spirituality at EDS, speak on ways to enrich corporate
spirituality in  communities of faith, and the Rev. Karen
Montagno, dean of student and community life at EDS,
reflect on the gifts of wisdom and spirit learned from our
mothers and mother figures.

     Workshop sessions later offered attendees the
opportunity to explore a variety of topics, from the
church's role in nurturing and mentoring girls and young
women, to enriching their own spiritual life with chanting
and singing prayer with the Episcopal rosary, to healing
touch energy work.

Make alliances to make change

     Alliance formation and collaborative leadership
between lay and clergy women and men is the way of the
future, Kujawa emphasized. "We don't have the people to be
able to split them off into groups. ... Strategically, in
terms of leadership, we need to make alliances to make
change," she said. "We are all called to go forth ...
working together on our salvation."

     Clericalism has suppressed the laity and affected the
church has a whole, despite the fact that there are not
absolute or qualitative differences between ordained and
lay ministry, or ordained and lay leadership, Kujawa said.
"We have different functions associated with the roles.
Through ordination, I have a particular role, a function, a
calling within the context of a community gathered toward a
particular goal," she explained.

     For the majority of the Episcopal Church's history,
Kujawa said, women have not enjoyed the same access to the
church structures as men, including ordination. She noted
that, although historical milestones include victories,
historical change in the church has been painfully slow.
"For the vast portion of our life as a denomination, our
history has been one of lay women struggling to get access
within the institution, along with our male allies," she
said.

Trailblazers need support

     When women do make inroads, it is especially important
that they are supported in their ministries--especially
those on the cutting edge, Kujawa said. "To be the first in
a vocation, it is very important that they know what
they're doing, because a degree of isolation goes along
with it," she said. "Isolation is a means of oppression."
Accountability belongs not only to the trailblazer but
those who must support her, she added.

     Kujawa cited the need for identifying the types of
formative training that will develop lay and ordained women
and men for leadership roles in the church, especially
mentoring of girls and young women. "How do we mentor young
women and girls?" she asked. "Do we put it on hold until
they're in their 40s? This is still a pattern [in the
church]."

     Although ordination or an ecclesiastical role can have
considerable influence in a denomination, Kujawa said, she
believes the church is called to be less about ordination
and certification processes than about equipping the people
of God for ministry in the world.

     Kujawa recommended the view of the church as a Christ-
centered people of God at work in a troubled world, where
Christians--clergy and laity--assemble for worship and
mission, rather than an institution-centered group where a
"set apart" clergy is at the center, ministering to a
troubled laity. She said she is particularly concerned that
some of the students who come to seminary express a need to
be rectors to be affirmed in their ministry.

      "Liturgy is not a retreat from the world. It involves
risk and courage to live the Christian vocation," Kujawa
said. "Safety and Christian vocation are not on the same
page." The value of the work of the church is to lead
people--and sometimes to drag them--toward their freedom,
she said.

     "There is an important lesson for women: because of
our internalized oppression, sometimes we can find being a
victim, or being oppressed, is much more comfortable than
being free," Kujawa said. "The reality is that we are
called by Christ in the Gospel into our freedom, and it is
the work of the church to open that up for all of us. The
skills that we talk about in terms of leadership are those
that lead people towards freedom."

Spiritual grounding

     Dr. Kwok Pui Lan emphasized the need for the church to
spiritually grounded. One of the reasons many churches have
difficulty attracting new members, she said, is that the
"seekers" don't feel that the church helps them in their
spiritual journey.

     The church must "listen to the cry of spirituality,"
especially among younger people, and be willing to make
itself relevant and interesting by rejuvenating its liturgy
and incorporating aspects of other faith traditions and
from other parts of the world. "There are many paths to
wisdom," Kwok said, adding that the colonial mindset that
says the church has enough and doesn't need to learn from
its neighbors is still prevalent in the Episcopal Church.
"We must encourage the church to learn something of the
spiritual paths of humankind."

     The church also must become more justice-focused, Kwok
told the gathering. "They give alms but do too little for
social transformation," she said. "Jesus didn't build a
church, he created a movement of social witness. ... If the
church is not a living place of people who carry out the
mission of God, people won't come in."

     To make itself relevant, the church must overcome its
hierarchical and patriarchal model, which often relegates
women to non-leadership roles.

     But it is through grassroots organizing, not the
institutional structures of the church, that people will
implement change, even though the Episcopal Church
historically has not been good at grassroots efforts.
"Don't go to Lambeth--that's not the vehicle for systemic
change," Kujawa said. "We tend to look at top-down models.
[However] we need to organize across parochial boundaries."
Organizations like the Episcopal Women's Caucus are
particularly well-suited for mobilizing for change, she
added, because they represent a wide spectrum across age,
ethnic and geographic boundaries.

Spiritual mothers

     The Rev. Karen Montagno recounted her own experience
at her grandmother's knee, getting her hair braided,
surrounded by her grandmother's friends. She concluded that
it was through their work together around the table that
wisdom and a spirit of community was being created by this
circle of ordinary women.

     "Their commitment to each other--as a way to build
income, to create community, to plan, to dream and to teach
one another--was the heart of leadership," Montagno said.
"It is important to reflect on who our spiritual mothers
have been, and to be spiritual mothers ourselves. Spiritual
leaders help to bring about the spiritual birth of others."

     Following dinner Saturday evening, the caucus
presented its Mary Durham Award for Women's Spirituality
and Scholarship to Jeanie Wylie-Kellermann, co-editor of
The Witness magazine, in recognition of her contributions
to the church and to the world in recognizing social
injustice and working to abolish it. The Rt. Rev. H.
Coleman McGehee, retired bishop of Michigan and keynote
speaker for the evening, praised Wylie-Kellermann and
encouraged all people of God to dedicate their talents and
energy to eradicating the causes of human suffering.

--Karen D. Bota is a freelance writer in the diocese of
Michigan.