From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Archbishop of Canterbury addresses Methodists

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 01 Jun 2000 12:37:01

For more information contact:
James Solheim
jsolheim@dfms.org
212/922-5385
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-090

Carey describes an 'ecology of unity' in address to
Methodists

by Linda Bloom

     (UMNS) While the vision of one, great church may be
unachievable, a different type of unity is possible among
the world's Christians, according to the Archbishop of
Canterbury.

     "I abandoned a long time ago a theology of unity that
assumes it means uniformity and sameness," Archbishop
George Carey told the United Methodist General Conference
in Cleveland, Ohio, during a May 10 ecumenical worship
service. "Human nature cannot accept that."

     His sermon was a first for the denomination's top
legislative body, which had never before been addressed by
an archbishop of Canterbury. In his introduction, Bishop
William Oden spoke of Carey's love for Methodism and the
Wesleyan  tradition and noted that his visit came at a time
when an international dialogue between the Anglican and
Methodist communions had concluded and a dialogue between
the United Methodists and Episcopal Church USA was to
begin.

     Pointing out that New Testament scholars now consider
diversity to be key to studying the origins of the faith,
Carey talked about what he termed an "ecology of unity," as
the word ecology refers to a variety of organisms living
together and contributing to one another's welfare.

Diversity in all traditions

     All great religious traditions accept expressions of
diversity. In the Anglican tradition, for example,
theological and liturgical tastes may range from conducting
the Eucharist in the catholic tradition to allowing a
fluidity of expression in a charismatic "low church"
setting. "In other words, high and hazy or low and lazy,"
he quipped.

     But, Carey added to applause, he doesn't like it when
"one part of the family believes that they hold the truth
and nobody else does."

     Ecological unity, the archbishop said, "may encourage
us to move in stages toward whatever final form of unity
God may have in store for us." The first stage--which has
been achieved in some theological conversations, such as
the recent Lutheran/Anglican talks--is to recognize that
the churches stand in continuity with apostolic faith. "The
next step beyond that is, of course, to recognize one
another's ministries as authentic and apostolic
ministries," he added.

     Such a staged approach is part of the formal Anglican-
Methodist talks recently started in Great Britain. The
archbishop noted that 30 years ago the two churches "were
within a whisker of establishing full, visible unity" but
lacked an affirming vote from the Anglicans.

     "It is my strong hope that over the next few years a
solid foundation for unity between our churches will
develop into a visible unity achieved by measurable
stages," Carey said. He also encouraged the United
Methodist-Episcopal dialogue.

Concept of mission

     Ecological unity also refers to the concept of mission
because it concerns the well-being of the whole. "I have
observed on many visits to the overseas church that the
best demonstrations of unity have been in prophetic
situation of witness when churches have stood together for
people and for the gospel," he added, naming South Africa,
the Sudan and Northern Ireland as examples. But he observed
that old divisions seem to return when a common enemy is
overcome.

     "I believe we must transcend our concern for the
survival of the church and start to focus our concern upon
the Kingdom of God and its centrality to church and
society," the archbishop said, calling for Christians to do
evangelism, ministry, social concern and theological
exploration together.

     After the worship service, ecumenical visitors
representing the African Methodist Episcopal, Evangelical
Lutheran, Presbyterian, Nazarene, Christian Methodist
Episcopal, Orthodox, Wesleyan, Greek Orthodox, United
Church of Christ and Episcopal churches were introduced.
Representatives of the National Council of Churches,
National Conference of Catholic Bishops, Consultation on
Church Union, International Council of Community of
Churches and World Council of Churches also were welcomed.

--Linda Bloom is a member of the United Methodist News
Service staff.