From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Archbishop of Canterbury addresses "Christianity in the crucible'

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 01 Jun 2000 12:37:20

For more information contact:
James Solheim
jsolheim@dfms.org
212/922-5385
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-109

Carey addresses 'Christianity in the crucible' in Texas
lectures

by James Solheim

     (ENS) In a series of lectures in mid-May in Wichita
Falls, Texas, honoring a prominent American Methodist
family, Archbishop of Canterbury George L. Carey explored
the theme, "Christianity in the Crucible."

     After expressing a personal tribute to the Methodist
Church as a sister church "in the glorious business of
proclaiming and living the Christian faith," Carey
announced in his first Perkins lecture that he would draw
on the great themes of faith--Christ, Scripture, Gospel and
Church, placing them in the context of Paul's letter to the
Ephesians and the 21st century "which is our fleeting
home."

     "The apostolic writers felt no embarrassment, no shame
and no regret in presenting Christ as the 'hinge of
history' and as one who makes all thing new," Carey said.
"Paul states that Jesus is the source of our entire
existence as Christians," that "we have been chosen to be
his children."

     He added, "The Christian faith is not an arid, erudite
religion locked away in studies for the benefit of scholars
who like that sort of thing--but a practical faith known in
the act of living and believing. To read Ephesians is like
listening to someone's experience of God. It is the
intimate language of the heart."

     Other faiths also recognize the uniqueness of Jesus,
Carey said. In his conversations with other religious
leaders he is convinced that "it is possible to be a whole-
hearted Christian and still be able to understand, accept
and work with persons of other faith traditions," and that
it is important to witness but also to listen to the
stories of other believers.

Spong and Falwell

     In a lecture on The Scriptures in a Transient Age,
Carey contrasted the approach of the Rev. Jerry Falwell,
who insists that Scripture is "inerrant" and "absolutely
infallibe," and Bishop John Spong, who says that the Bible
must be understood and interpreted in the light of our
knowledge and suppositions.

     "For Falwell, the Bible hedges us in on every side. It
is God's total truth about everything. It must measure
everything we believe and everything we do," Carey
observed. "We cannot escape it and thus we must embrace it
totally."

     And for Spong "the Bible is merely history," and
"modern Christians cannot look to it as a source or guide
to contemporary truth and behavior."

     Carey said that he had problems with both approaches.
"Each in his own way sounds like a fundamentalist--reducing
complexities to satisfactory simplicities," with one
arguing that the Bible is "nothing but the pure voice of
God," and the other that the Bible "is nothing but the by-
gone voice of the church." It is necessary, therefore, to
look for a middle way, not abandoning Scriptures to "the
dogmatic voices of either the fundamentalist literalist or
the fundamentalist radical."

     Since the Bible is at the same time a simple
collection of stories which speak "directly to the human
heart, it is also a complex and deep book over which
generations of scholars have pored with delight." The
Anglican tradition, he pointed out, "has always given way
to the authority of Scripture in the light of reason. This
way of doing theology means hard work, constant prayer, and
dialogue with those who disagree with us on the basis of
respect and toleration."

The church as a blessing

     "Although there will always be some for whom the
church has been a hateful symbol of repression or class or
establishment or rigid morality, there also will be many
more for whom it has been the channel of blessing, grace
and God's love," Carey said in his final lecture.

     Drawing on his extensive travels, Carey said that the
church "has blessed our world with humanitarian aid, with
educational opportunities, with medical science, and has
introduced human rights and equality to untold millions of
people." Of course, there is much that is wrong with the
church, he added, "because it consists of fallible people
like you and me who daily need God's love."

     One of the aims of the church, according to Carey, is
"to be prophetic churches which are unashamed of our
Christian witness." And we should build a church "where the
work of God is joyful and where each person has a
contribution to make."

     "In spite of the great challenges facing churches
today," Carey concluded, "we have much to encourage us. We
are not in business to please ourselves, and we belong to a
fellowship whose success is already guaranteed by God. We
shall never go out of business--neither will there be any
end of the pleasure of serving our Lord and Christ."

     Carey received an honorary doctorate from the Perkins
School of Theology at Southern Methodist University.

Local option?

     According to participants, Carey told a gathering of
clergy in the Diocese of Fort Worth that allowing
individual dioceses to set their own policy on the
ordination of non-celibate gays and lesbians and the
blessing of same-sex relationships could threaten the unity
of the church.

     "The moment you have a diocese that goes it alone, you
break with catholicity and fundamental belief," Carey is
quoted as saying by the Rev. Scott Albergate,
communications officer of the diocese. "One creates
schism."

     Carey said an approach such as the one recommended by
the Standing Commission on Liturgy and Music to resolve the
issues at the diocesan level, could "endanger the Anglican
Communion." He pointed to the communique issued by the
primates of the Anglican Communion at the end of their
Portugal meeting as a "real warning" against such an
approach. And he said that such tendencies are signs that
the culture is driving the church. "We must as Christians
stand against this," he said.

     In a press conference after the lecture series, Carey
answered a question about the prospects of the church
changing its stance on homosexuality. "I'm a
traditionalist," he responded. "If we are to make changes,
then we must be convinced that there are good theological
reasons for doing so."

--James Solheim is director of the Episcopal Church's
Office of News and Information.