From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Episcopal reconciliation effort

From ENS@ecunet.org
Date 01 Jun 2000 12:37:13

For more information contact:
James Solheim
jsolheim@dfms.org
212/922-5385
http://www.ecusa.anglican.org/ens

2000-092

Task force seeks a churchwide reconciliation effort

by Kathryn McCormick

     (ENS) A diverse group of Episcopalians, united in
their willingness to seek reconciliation with others
primarily on  issues related to homosexuality, has called
on the bishops of the church to study the role of church
leaders as reconcilers--including what other churches have
learned and are teaching about reconciliation--with the aim
of ultimately issuing a pastoral letter on reconciliation
and an accompanying study guide.

     The group, which met May 15-19 at Christ Church in
Short Hills, New Jersey, in the first regional meeting
sponsored by the recently-formed New Commandment Task
Force, also made a number of proposals to General
Convention.

     In a document signed by 14 of the 15 who attended the
meeting, they asked:

     *That a process be developed whereby a bishop and/or a
congregation may appeal to an as-yet-to-be-created council
of bishops and a national reconciliation team for help in
addressing "situations of theological and pastoral conflict
between the congregation and its diocese." Members of the
council and the team would represent a broad range of
perspectives in the church and be trained in the principles
and the practice of reconciliation. The council would offer
pastoral direction to the team.

          *That the reconciliation team create strategies
and processes for reconciliation and, when it responds to a
conflict, develop a reconciliation process and provide
training for clergy and laity.

          *That when proposed remedies have been exhausted,
the team retain a provincial-level mediation group of
trained professionals "to implement an amicable dissolution
of the ecclesiastical relationship." The council of bishops
would serve as advisers to the dissolution process.

          *That lay leaders, candidates for ordination, and
clergy undergo a minimum two-day training in reconciliation
offered by experience professionals.

     The group estimated that the initiatives would require
$640,000 in funding for the triennium.

Disagreements deeply rooted

     Though the New Commandment Task Force is focusing on
sexuality issues, the document said, "Our present
disagreements are rooted in conflicts over issues such as
the nature of the authority of Scripture, the nature of the
church, and the accountability of bishops and congregations
to God and each other."

     The group included men and women, gay and straight,
liberals, moderates and conservatives.

     During their five days together in Short Hills, the
group said, "We talked a lot, prayed a lot, and made
constant reference to the Holy Scriptures and to the Book
of Common Prayer. No holds were barred as we gave honest
witness to our deepest convictions. We argued, disagreed,
laughed, cried, and continued to pray."

     Group members share a list of what they discovered:

     *That in prayer and worship we could experience deep
love for each other in Jesus.

          *That in honest conversation we could overcome
negative stereotypes based on lack of knowledge or
misinformation about each other.

          *That there are some matters about which we could
not reach agreement.

          *That we all fervently desire that conservatives,
evangelicals, anglo-catholics, and liberals alike remain in
our church.

     Group members pledged to continue working for
reconciliation, "not simply as a response to conflict, but
as a permanent moral vision for our life together and as a
paradigm for mission in the 21st century."

     The New Commandment Task Force includes Dr. Louie
Crew, an active layman in the Diocese of Newark, New
Jersey; the Rev. Brian Cox of the Reconciliation Institute
in Santa Barbara, California; the Rev. Ed Bacon, rector of
All  Saints Church in Pasadena, California; the Rev.
Elizabeth Kaeton, canon missioner of the Diocese of Newark;
the Rev. Richard Kew, representing the Anglican Forum for
the Future; the Rev. Dorsey McConnell, rector of St.
Alban's Church in Edmonds, Washington, and Ted Mollegen,
lay deputy from the Diocese of Connecticut.

     They derived the name of the task force from biblical
passages in which Jesus describes his new commandment,
"that you love one another…".

Support from presiding bishop

     It quoted Presiding Bishop Frank T. Griswold Bishop
Griswold as saying, "When disagreements are deeply felt,
the evil one can take hold of our feelings, and use them in
ways that create mistrust and division.  No human being has
an infallible perception of what God wants, and we are
called to exhibit both humility and love as we strive to
discern what our Lord is calling us to do.

     "This team will help us learn to conduct ourselves in
a more loving manner as we are doing that.  I also believe
that its regional meetings will contribute new ways of
approaching our potentially divisive issues in a manner
that will build up the body in love and minimize the sense
of frustration and loss felt by those whose points of view
are not fully realized."

     Griswold, the task force said, has offered some
financial assistance to help the group get started.

     The group is still seeking participants for three more
regional meetings: at St. Christopher's Church in Dallas,
Texas, June 12-16; at All Saints Church, Pasadena,
California,  October 30-November 3, and in South Bend,
Indiana, November 13-17.

     Each session will start at 2 pm on Monday and end
Friday at 12 noon.

     Nominees should be Episcopalians who hold, or who have
held within the last seven years, elective church positions
whch involve them in regular Episcopal Church activities
beyond their parishes. Nominations should contain the
person's qualifying characteristics, including a statement
as to whether the person has a heart for reconciliation,
and identifying the required elective office(s). Nominees
should also state whether they consider themselves to be
liberal, conservative, or moderate on the subjects of (a)
ordaining homosexuals who are in life-committed
relationships and (b) the blessing of same-sex unions.

     Each regional meeting is made up of approximately
equal numbers of people from each of these three
categories. Nominees should be willing to serve all four
days of their particular meeting, and to pay their own
travel and subsistence expenses for the meeting. A very
limited amount of money is available to assist with
expenses for persons who cannot pay all of their own costs.

     Individuals may volunteer by nominating themselves.
Letters of nomination addressing all of the particulars
should be sent to by hard or electronic copy to:

     New Commandment Task Force

     c/o A. T. Mollegen, Jr., tmollegen@alliedr.com

     49 Millstone Road

     Glastonbury, CT 06033

     Information and forms are also available on the task
force's website:
http://members.aol.com/newcmndment/form.htm

--Kathryn McCormick is associate director of the Episcopal
Church's Office of News and Information.