From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

One Week-27,100 Baptisms

From "Beckett, John" <BeckettJ@gc.adventist.org>
Date 01 Jun 2000 16:13:50

ANN Bulletin
Adventist News Network
Seventh-day Adventist Church World Headquarters
May 31, 2000
----------------------

One Week-27,100 Baptisms
Lima, Peru .... [ANN]
--------------------------------
In just one week, 27,100 new members joined the Seventh-day Adventist Church
in Peru in what is believed to be the largest increase ever over such a time
period.

The baptisms, held throughout the country, accompanied the "Impacto 2000"
outreach program held at the San Marcos Stadium in Lima by evangelist
Alejandro Bullon.  The program was watched live on TV, cable and satellite
broadcasts in Peru and in the Spanish-speaking areas of South and
Inter-America.

"This shows that no one knows what God will do," comments pastor Raul Gomez,
leader of the Adventist Church in Peru. "Jesus just said go and make
disciples. That's what we as pastors and lay members are doing, through
small groups studying the Bible together."

Participating in the finale of the program called "Es Tiempo de Ver a
Jesús," ("It is Time to See Jesus") was Pastor Jan Paulsen, world president
of the Adventist Church, and Pastor Ruy Nagel, president of the Church in
South America. Paulsen concluded the event by baptizing the final two
candidates, Victor and Roberto, on May 27.

"This event well illustrates the amazing church growth here in Peru and
throughout South America," comments Paulsen. "For my wife Kari and myself,
this has been a truly astonishing experience-to see the Holy Spirit working
in so many ways to lead to this dramatic event of Impacto 2000. We are just
so delighted to be part of this-to be present as so many have committed
their lives to the Lord."

Evangelist Bullon, a native of Peru, says this is a result of the whole
Church working together to reach friends and neighbors.

"Christ is waking us up, and the Holy Spirit is preparing His church," he
says. "This is the result of the personal enthusiasm of lay members. Even my
75 year-old mother is out looking for people to study with and to invite to
the meetings. I can't give 50,000 Bible studies, but the members can. I just
preach and give the call. Together we can do great things for God."

The broadcasts were coordinated by Pastor Williams Costa, Jr., director of
the Adventist Church's South American Division media center, ADSAT, with
headquarters in Brazil.

The Seventh-day Adventist Church is the second-largest denomination in Peru
with some 500,000 members. [Jonathan Gallagher]
Contact Information:
Communications Department
General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists
12501 Old Columbia Pike
Silver Spring, MD 20904-6600

Phone: 301-680-6300
e-mail: info@gc.adventist.org