From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

ELCA Official Observes Haitian Elections

From News News <NEWS@ELCA.ORG>
Date 09 Jun 2000 10:39:08

ELCA NEWS SERVICE

June 9, 2000

ELCA OFFICIAL OBSERVES HAITIAN ELECTIONS
00-157-MH*

     PORT-AU-PRINCE, HAITI (ELCA) -- Gaylord M. Thomas, director,
community development services, Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
(ELCA), Division for Church in Society, served as an observer in an
election that was the country's first democratic process in three years.
     The elections took place on May 21, 2000, after being postponed
three times.
     "I was inspired by what I saw there," Thomas said.  "The people
had a tremendous desire to participate in a democratic process and to
vote for whom they wanted, despite obstacles such as illiteracy."
     "I saw people coming out of the mountains at five o'clock in the
morning to vote," said Thomas.
     However, Thomas said he witnessed suspicious activity.  "We saw
some irregularities and inconsistencies in the vote counting process
that made us question whether the election was conducted fairly."
     Thomas was one of the observers representing the Lutheran World
Federation (LWF).  The LWF is a global communion of 128 member churches
in 70 countries representing 59.4 million of the world's 63.1 million
Lutherans.  The ELCA is a member of LWF.
     Kaanaeli Makundi, acting director, LWF department for world
service, said the LWF is interested in ecumenical electoral observation.
The LWF's goal is "to contribute through a physical presence, during the
next election, to the consolidation of the democratic process in Haiti
and to point out LWF's and the churches' commitment toward the Haitian
people."
     Thomas said he wanted to participate as an observer because he was
moved by the struggles of the Haitian people.  He also wanted to follow
up on an economic development project he was working on in which new
affordable homes were being built in Haiti.
      "It's highly important that the faith community recruit more
international observers for future elections so we can get a better
understanding of peoples' struggles," he said.
     [*Michael N. Hoffman is a junior at the University of Kansas,
Lawrence, Kan.  This summer he is an intern with ELCA News and
Information.]

For information contact: