From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WEISS: REAFFIRM BAPTIST PRINCIPLES

From RICH.SCHRAMM@ecunet.org
Date 16 Jun 2000 10:06:56

To: wfn-editors@wfn.org

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS SERVICE
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Web: www.abc-usa.org
Richard W. Schramm, Director
 E-mail: richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

WEISS CALLS FOR AFFIRMATION OF 'SPIRIT-FILLED MEN AND WOMEN...
IN ALL AREAS OF MINISTRY' AND  'FUNDAMENTAL MANDATES OF
WORSHIPPING OUR SAVIOR AND BEING OPEN TO THE HOLY SPIRIT'
 As media attention focuses on this week's gathering of
16,000 Southern Baptist Convention messengers in Orlando,
and especially on actions there to label the concept of
women in ministry as unbiblical and to encourage a more
centralized notion of doctrine, American Baptist Churches
USA General Secretary Daniel E. Weiss is urging all Baptists
"to reaffirm those great Baptist principles and
understandings that have enabled the gifts of Spirit-
inspired men and women to powerfully serve--in all areas of
ministry--the cause of Christ."
 "At all times, but perhaps especially at this moment,
we need to look at the results of four centuries of Baptist
thought in action," Weiss said.  "We have a special identity
as a Christian tradition, and it has supported a
transforming presence in church and society.  In being
faithful to that tradition, Baptists have encouraged men and
women of faith to be inspired as individuals, to proclaim
God's word, and to act and share from that relationship as
leaders in God's church and in fulfilling the Great
Commission."
 Weiss cited many American Baptists' historic
commitment to women in ministry.  In particular he noted the
American Baptist Policy Statement on Women and Men As
Partners in Church and Society, passed by the denomination's
General Board in 1985.  In part that statement affirms that
"the Gospel of Jesus Christ liberates all persons, female
and male, to serve in any ministry to which they have been
called by God and for which they have God-given
talents...women, as well as men, should have access to and
serve at all levels of church and society...."
 "That statement, while nonbinding on any of our
churches and certainly not representative of every American
Baptist's thinking on this issue, nonetheless expresses the
convictions of a vast majority of American Baptists and it
is the official position of American Baptist Churches USA,"
Weiss said.  "With that conviction in place we've been
ordaining women for the past century and a quarter, and
we've been the beneficiaries of countless productive and
life-changing ministries that empowerment has produced."
 Among actions undertaken by Southern Baptist
messengers are revisions to their longstanding Baptist Faith
and Message statement, including changes that some perceive
as encouraging a centralized standard for doctrine.  The
agenda included a movement to "clarify our doctrine for this
present age, and...define our beliefs against the backdrop of
modern confusion."
 "It concerns me greatly," Weiss noted, "when any group
of Baptists considers actions I clearly interpret as
refuting important components of the free church tradition.
There may be dozens of Baptist denominations in this
country, but we all grew out of the same passionate
commitment to democratic, autonomous congregational life,
where the local church determines its own doctrine, style of
worship and approach to mission."
 "It seems to me that some Baptists now are
contemplating reprioritizing the fundamental mandates of
worshipping our Savior and being open to the Holy Spirit in
favor of a corporate interpretation of God's word," Weiss
added.  "I don't believe that approach would have found
favor with our Baptist forbears who so courageously fought
to assure and honor the individual's relationship with God."
 "American Baptists repeatedly have affirmed our belief
in the Bible as the authoritative and trustworthy guide for
knowing and serving God, and the belief that we are
empowered as individuals to interpret Scripture under the
guidance of God's Holy Spirit within the community of faith.
But most Baptists never have assumed that unanimity on the
interpretation and application of Scripture is the measure
of success for our ministries as Christ's witnesses.  We
readily acknowledge that--for the Holy Spirit impacts each
believer uniquely and we respond in different ways to God's
leading.
 "And we shouldn't make the mistake of putting Jesus
Christ and the Bible in the wrong order of authority.  We
honor the Bible.  We always appeal to it above tradition and
contemporary ideologies.  We must know it and be rooted in
it.  We live under its authority.  God's Word is truth.
Whatever it teaches us about what to believe or how to live
is true.  We respect and revere the Bible.  But we worship
Jesus Christ.  Moreover, Jesus Christ is the criterion by
which the Bible must be interpreted because He said He was
(John 5:39)."
 "I hope and pray that Baptists everywhere look now at
what has made us a special people with a special mission,"
Weiss said.  "As well as any Christians, we have defined
church as a vital gathering of individual, contributing
Christians who 'confess that Jesus is Lord and believe in
their hearts that God  raised Him from the dead' (Romans
10:9).  We have deliberately and steadfastly avoided any
notion that would weaken our response to God as responsible
believers and autonomous congregations.  While we gladly
make expressions of our corporate faith we aren't bound by
creeds.  And while we serve the same risen Savior we express
our commitment to Him in varied ways from church to church.
What we do hold fast to is the belief that each of us--woman
or man, clergy or lay--has gifts for ministry that God has
granted, and which God expects to be shared within the
church and beyond.  This wonderful role we take on as
'priests one to another' assumes that God speaks to each of
us through the living word of Scripture as illuminated by
the Holy Spirit.  The sum total of those gifts within any
congregation is the measure of its vitality and of its
effectiveness as a community of faith."

6/15/00
WFN615A

 -0-