From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Jordanian bishop sees need to review the sense of common witness

From FRANK.IMHOFF@ecunet.org
Date 19 Jun 2000 09:26:49

LWF COUNCIL MEETING, TURKU, FINLAND, 14-21 JUNE 2000
PRESS RELEASE NO. 11

TURKU, Finland/GENEVA, 18 June 2000, (LWI) - The bishop of the Evangelical
Lutheran Church in Jordan (ELCJ), Munib A. Younan, has said that the
Church's motto for mission in the 21st century must embody unity in
diversity as no church can claim independence from the other.

"As the Palestinian Lutheran church in Jerusalem, which is the local
expression of the Christian church worldwide, we call on the churches in
the North and South to implement our communion in mission," Younan said
when he delivered the day's sermon at an ecumenical service in St.
Michael's church in Turku.

Younan's message revolved around the parable of the true vine (John 15:
1-10). The congregation included representatives of the Lutheran World
Federation (LWF) member churches who are in Turku from 14 to 21 June
participating in the annual Council meeting of the LWF.

The Jordanian bishop emphasized that the cohesiveness of the vine tree
should at all times serve as a reminder that whether in the north or
south, missionary or mission churches, rich or poor, with or without
human resources, churches need each other. "We need to review our sense
of common witness and strengthen our theology in communion in mission,"
he said.

The Church in diversity, according to Younan, should identify a common
approach in implanting spirituality in a world where there is a serious
moral crisis. "Our mission is larger than we think," said the Lutheran
bishop as he called on churches to be brokers of justice; catalyst of
peace education; prophet for human rights, haven for the poor,
marginalized and victims of injustice; and to be bridge builders of
confidence as well as ministers of reconciliation.

(The LWF is a global communion of 128 member churches in 70 countries
representing 59 million of the world's 63 million Lutherans. Its highest
decision making body is the Assembly, held every six or seven years.
Between Assemblies, the LWF is governed by a 49-member Council which
meets annually, and its Executive Committee. The LWF secretariat is
located in Geneva, Switzerland.)

[Lutheran World Information (LWI) is the information service of the
Lutheran World Federation (LWF). Unless specifically noted, material
presented does not represent positions or opinions of the LWF or of its
various units. Where the dateline of an article contains the notation
(LWI), the material may be freely reproduced with acknowledgment.]

Lutheran World Information
Assistant Editor, English: Pauline Mumia
E-mail: pmu@lutheranworld.org
http://www.lutheranworld.org/