From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

NCCCUSA Commends Supreme Court's June 19 Ruling On School Prayer

From CAROL.FOUKE@ecunet.org
Date 20 Jun 2000 13:52:55

National Council of the Churches of Christ in the USA
Email: news@ncccusa.org  Web: www.ncccusa.org

Contact: NCC News, 212-870-2227

70NCC6/20/00
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

NCC COMMENDS SUPREME COURT'S JUNE 19 RULING ON SCHOOL PRAYER

	June 20, 2000, NEW YORK CITY - The National Council of Churches today released the following statement welcoming the U.S. Supreme Court's ruling reaffirming its earlier decisions against officially sponsored prayer in public schools.

	The statement follows:

"In its decision yesterday, the Supreme Court upheld the principle, which we support, that it is not the business of government to sponsor and promote religious exercises in public schools.  We support the right of students to pray individually or in groups, but in this instance the Court wisely recognized that participation in these prayers might not be voluntary for all students.  We commend the Court for this decision."

-end-