From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Washington Redskins asked to change 'offensive' name

From NewsDesk <NewsDesk@UMCOM.UMC.ORG>
Date 22 Jun 2000 13:00:14

June 22, 2000  News media contact: Joretta Purdue ·(202) 546-8722·Washington
10-21-34-71B{294}

NOTE TO EDITORS:  The full text of the Rev. Thom White Wolf Fassett's letter
follows this story.

WASHINGTON (UMNS) - The head of the United Methodist agency for social
action and advocacy has written to the Washington Redskins asking that the
football team change its name.

"The name is offensive and hurtful to the many Native Americans who are
citizens of this nation and to all people who reject racial stereotypes and
bigotry as socially acceptable," writes the Rev. Thom White Wolf Fassett,
top executive of the United Methodist Board of Church and Society.

Fassett acknowledges the difficulty of such a change and the need to involve
both the National Football League and the club's fans. The term "redskins"
has been derogatory from its start, he says, and by embodying a history of
degradation and slaughter, it demeans the team as well as Native Americans.

He cites the denomination's act of repentance for racism on May 4, as well
as a resolution in the church's current Book of Resolutions that is "a call
for repentance for the church's role in the dehumanization and colonization
of our Native American sisters and brothers."

He also quotes a statement by the church's 1996 General Conference that
naming teams "Warriors" or "Braves" demeans Native Americans by depicting
them as violent and aggressive.

Delegates to the May 2-12 General Conference in Cleveland, the church's
highest legislative body, particularly took issue with the host city's
baseball team, the Indians, and its mascot, "Chief Wahoo," as demeaning. The
conference went on record as objecting to any organization or team using
"offensive racist logos."

The United Methodist Church has 8.4 million members in the United States and
about 1.2 million members in Africa, Europe and the Philippines. The church
includes an Oklahoma Indian Missionary Conference and has Native American
members throughout the United States.

# # #

The text of the letter sent to the Washington Redskins president follows. It
also can be found on the Board of Church and Society Web site at
www.umc-gbcs.org.

June 2000

Mr. Daniel Snyder, President
Washington Redskins
P.O. Box 17247
Washington, D.C.  20041

Dear Mr. Snyder:

I am writing on behalf of the 13 million-member United Methodist Church to
ask you to choose a new name for the Washington Redskins. While the team
itself is a professional organization that is respected in the league for
sportsmanship and excellence, the name is offensive and hurtful to the many
Native Americans who are citizens of this nation and to all people who
reject racial stereotypes and bigotry as socially acceptable.

The United Methodist Church in 1996 declared that "it is demeaning to Native
Americans and other members of our society to depict Native Americans as
violent and aggressive people by calling a sports team the 'Braves' or the
'Warriors.' The implication is that all Native Americans are aggressive and
violent people." The UMC affirmed that stand again just last month, calling
on all sports teams to cease using racially charged names.

The term "Redskins" is an insult to Native Americans no matter the context
in which it is used. As a derogatory term which embodies a history of
degradation and slaughter, we believe that it should be eliminated as the
mascot or slogan for a professional sports team. The name demeans the team
as it does not represent the negative connotations of this term and as such
the term not only dehumanizes Native Americans, but it also dehumanizes the
organization. You have an opportunity to set an example for the nation by
choosing a new team name that instills pride in everyone and does not
dismiss anyone as less than human.

Words have tremendous power to shape our perception of reality. As such, we
should take extra precaution and care in even the smallest details that are
within our control. While we recognize that changing the name of such an
organization would not be a simple task and would involve the participation
of the National Football League as well as the fans, it is the right thing
to do. "The use of nicknames is not conducive to the development of a
society committed to the common good of its citizenry." (The Book of
Resolutions, 1996)

The United Methodist Church took a step to lead by example when it made an
act of repentance for the sins of racism at its General Conference in
Cleveland in May. "The United Methodist Church has issued a call for
repentance for the church's role in the dehumanization and colonization of
our Native American sisters and brothers." (The Book of Resolutions, 1996).
We hope you will join us in this effort.

Sincerely,

Dr. Thom White Wolf Fassett
General Secretary

United Methodist News Service