From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

YAD enters the church through the Web

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 24 Jun 2000 13:26:49

Note #5952 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

GA00008
June 24, 2000

	YAD enters the church through the Web

            by Sue Boardman

LONG BEACH, June 24 – For the last two years, Youth Advisory Delegate (YAD),
Andy James has been working behind the scenes at General Assembly, helping
to make the "web stuff” work in the newsroom and exhibit hall. At this 212th
General Assembly, James, a history major at the University of Mississippi,
is serving on the Church Orders and Ministry Committee, voting in committee
and advising on matters before the Assembly .

	Representing St. Andrew Presbytery, James recalls his experience at
Connection ’97, a companion event to the national Youth Triennium, as a
profound experience in which he realized “that there were other Presbyterian
youth interested in and going through the same things I was, and they were
involved in the church.” He also realized that there was no World Wide Web
support for the event.

	James approached national leaders with some ideas and has been at work ever
since, developing web sites for youth events around the country, doing web
work for the 2000 and 2001 Peacemaking conferences, and working in
collegiate ministries as a part of the Presbyterian Student Strategy Team.

	“The web stuff is fun,” said James. “I just started messing around and it
really opened up the church for me. I’ve found doors into other areas I’ve
never been involved with before, especially the Peacemaking program which
expresses my vision of what God is calling us to do on earth.”

	Of his work at the Assembly this year, James says, “This is a way for me to
contribute to what the church is doing in a new way. The opportunity to be a
part of making these decisions is a truly awesome responsibility and I hope
we’ll find out together what God is calling the Presbyterian Church to be.”

	And with those words, Andy James obligingly turned and helped a venerable
newsroom reporter, work his digital camera!