From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Kirsten Kingdon Address More Light

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 24 Jun 2000 23:54:20

Note #5966 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

GA00021
June 24, 2000

Kirsten Kingdon Address More Light Presbyterians

PFLAG director urges people to overcome their fears

	by Nancy Rodman

LONG BEACH, June 24 - Kirsten Kingdon, Executive Director of Parents,
Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG), carried the PFLAG message
of health and well-being for gay, lesbian, transgendered, and bisexual
people to those gathered for the annual More Light Presbyterians Celebration
dinner.  “When there are many closeted people,” she said, “the cost to
society is tremendous and far-reaching.  We are unable to rejoice in our
diversity.  The more we can heal people of their fears, the more we can
foster healthy communities.”

	Kingdon spoke of the time when her son was coming out as a gay man and
PFLAG helped and supported her and her husband.  “PFLAG continues to be
there for families that need models and support,” she said.

	PFLAG members, Kingdon continued, are witnesses to the commitment to
changes in hearts and minds.  A family that has been healed is a powerful
witness, she said, and encouraged her listeners to go back to their churches
with the PFLAG message because, “religion is a great source of pain among
families dealing with sexual orientation and gender identity issues.”

	The Presbyterian Church is celebrating the Year of the Child, but, Kingdon
said, it is not the Year of the Child if the child is or is perceived to be
gay or lesbian.  As part of its mission to change this, Kingdon announced
that PFLAG has designated October “From Our House to the Schoolhouse” month,
a campaign to help each chapter speak out, assess what is going on in
schools, and help.

	“If we join together there will be power in the community to promote a
healthier society,” she said.

	This week of the General Assembly will be a week of highs and lows with
uncertain outcomes, Kingdon said, a week to remember the words of Psalm 46:
“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble ... Be still
and know that I am God.”

	Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays is a family-based
organization with more than 425 affiliates nationwide that provide support
and information about sexual orientation and gender identity.
	The More Light Presbyterians Celebration dinner was also the occasion for
the annual presentation of awards.  These included the 2000 David E. Sindt
Award for outstanding individual leadership, presented to the Rev. Grayson
L. Tucker, and the 2000 Inclusive Church Award, presented to A Community of
the Servant-Savior PC(USA), the Rev. Susan Quinn Bryan, pastor.