From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Anniversary and the Assembly are a happy blend

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 25 Jun 2000 13:02:23

Note #5968 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

25-June-2000
GA00023

	Anniversary and the Assembly are a happy blend

	by Midge Mack

LONG BEACH, June 24 – The day started with breakfast shared in the hotel
room and a single rose, just like he'd always brought her when they were
dating. She went on to her Assembly committee assignment, the Bills &
Overtures Committee, and received a standing ovation. Friday  was Ruth and
James Stacy's 50th wedding anniversary.

	Ruth Stacy, elder from First Presbyterian Church of Westfield, N.Y.,
representing Western New York Presbytery, recently completed an important
personal project, researching and writing the history of her congregation.
As a result, the church is "Designated Historical Church #424" of the
PC(USA).

	Ruth and Jim met at the "Y" at the University of Cincinnati, where she has
also recently attended her 50th undergraduate class reunion. Ruth says her
marriage worked because "we  were married twice. My future mother in law was
late to the ceremony, so we did it all over again.  And now we'll celebrate,
again, with the children, when we get home."

	As the Stacys made several Pennsylvania cities their home, Ruth was
involved in education, establishing a daily kindergarten at her church,
counseling in high school, supervising programs for gifted students,
eventually becoming the first woman to receive a doctorate in counseling
from the School of Education of Indiana University in Pennsylvania.

	During her terms on the First Church session, she was involved in planning
and writing personnel committee policies,  and also in adult Christian
education, which she enjoys "because I learn so much -- I'm a life-long
learner."  Best of all, she says, is "the continuing challenge to find
solutions to problem -- to show church members they have many options, that
they can continue to  care for each other, even when they disagree."