From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Congresswoman Maxine Waters celebrates Witherspoon Society's agenda

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 25 Jun 2000 17:44:32

Note #5975 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

25-June-2000
GA00029

	Congresswoman Maxine Waters celebrates Witherspoon Society's agenda for
peace and justice

	by Sue Boardman

LONG BEACH, June 25 -- With a quavering voice, newly elected moderator of
the 212th General Assembly, Syngman Rhee greeted the crowd at the annual
Witherspoon Society luncheon saying, "When we try to be agents of
reconciliation, we are sometimes shot at from both sides, but it is the
cross we have to bear."

	Rhee spoke of his gratitude for the work of the members of the society and
expressed his hope that the "peace and justice of God may prevail in the
church and the land throughout the world."

	Lois Baker of Houston, Tex. named the former director of the Presbyterian
Health, Education, and Welfare Association, Rod Martin, as recipient of the
Andrew Murray Award. Martin has also served as president of the Witherspoon
Society. Shona Martin Kiilsgaard accepted the award on behalf of her father,
who was unable to attend. In making the award, Baker described Martin as
having brought "an organized voice for justice to the national church."

	Blase and Theresa Bonpane accepted the Organization Award for the Office of
the Americas in Los Angeles, Calif. According to Blase Bonpane, "The time
has come to abolish the war system which is a form of slavery … We're
determined to form a peace system because the planet cannot sustain the war
system."

	Congresswoman Maxine Waters (D-Calif.) gave the keynote address. Well known
for her work on the House Judiciary Committee, Waters told enthusiastic
members of the society that when she began to realize "who you are and what
you do, I knew I'd gone to liberal heaven!" While touching on a number of
justice issues, Waters focused on the criminal justice system in the United
States. Of her 1999 House Resolution to eliminate mandatory minimum
sentencing for non-violent, first-time drug offenders, Waters said that we
need to address the disparity in judicial sentencing.

	 "Just locking them up and throwing away the key has been a dismal
failure," she claimed.  Citing an up-coming California Initiative, Waters
encouraged Witherspoon Society members to work for laws mandating treatment
opportunities for addicted persons convicted of "low level crimes" and said,
"We have to be willing to pay for it!"

	"I am encouraged," she concluded, " … because of you. It feels less
lonesome. It feels as if there are real possibilities. If the Witherspoon
Society can continue to bring forward the message of peace and justice,
you're going to be able to grab hold of some of our friends who have lost
their way so that America can work for peace and justice again."