From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

"rickntoby.com" helps Cleveland congregation grow

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 25 Jun 2000 18:56:45

Note #5977 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

GA00032
June 25, 2000

"rickntoby.com" helps Cleveland congregation grow

	by Midge Mack

LONG BEACH, June 25 - They attended Gordon-Conwell Seminary and then
interned together before making it a lifetime arrangement. Rick and Toby
Gillespie-Mobley now co-pastor Glenville New Life Community Church in
Cleveland. Here at the Assembly Rick is  commissioner from the Presbytery of
the Western Reserve, on the Pensions and Benefits Committee.

	Among Rick’s many talents is "computer guru," and he uses his expertise to
enhance the congregation’s ministry. He personally trains young people to
video worship services digitally,  then edits the tapes into one-hour
telecasts for distribution to three public access TV channels (plus an AM
radio station) in the Cleveland area. He also designed a website,
www.glenvillenewlife.com,  which features the congregation’s offerings,
news, pictures of church events  and instructive articles about specific
Christian values.

	Western Reserve Presbytery had organized the Glenville congregation as a
new church development in 1962, but it remained a mission church, draining
presbytery funding for the next 25 years. The presbytery planned to close it
until "rickntoby" took on the challenge in 1989,  after a successful inner
city co-pastorate in Boston’s Roxbury neighborhood. "We decided we were
going to make it, and we got organized just for that," Rick remembers. "We
raised member expectations and established a stewardship program."

	"We trained our own elders and we trained lay pastors, too," Toby adds.
"There are seven of them and we meet with them twice a month. They conduct
Bible studies for one group or another every day but Monday."

	Rick also leads junior and senior highs. Using "Pioneers" programming,
nursery through high school students meet Wednesday evenings. Sunday worship
is at 9:15 and 11:15, with five choirs being part of  praise music teams.

	The congregation helps support an orphanage in Nigeria and at home  feeds
60 to 70 children five days a week, also offering homework help. A six-week
day camp takes place in the summer with supplementary funding from sister
churches. Included among program offerings are liturgical dance, computer
classes, marriage classes and retreats, singles ministry, prayer and
life-sharing classes.

	What’s next? "That’s easy," Rick reports.  "We’re getting set to raise
$550,000 for a new life center so we can expand ministry to seniors, youth
and all ages in between."