From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

[Ga212reports] Commentary

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 26 Jun 2000 09:41:49

Note #7 from PCUSA NEWS to GA 212 REPORTS:

This is David Steele reporting on the 212th General Assembly.  Thank you for
calling.

Last night we had dinner on the wharf here in Long Beach.  It was packed
with folk celebrating a lovely weekend.  Joan remarked: Looks like the
United Nations." And it is.  Long Beach  proudly proclaims that it is a true
multi-racial and multi-cultural city.  No one group is a majority.  Hawaii
is like that.  We lived there some 13 years and found the diversity a rich
experience.

So it was appropriate that this city was the site of Sunday's Assembly
emphasis on " Unity in the midst of Diversity".  Last years assembly asked
us to concentrate on this.  And Sunday's worship was built around this
Assembly's theme: For We are One in Christ.

Unfortunately not all Presbyterians felt invited inside the sports arena for
worship.  A number of our family  joined the national Gay/Lesbian activist
group SOULFORCE in silent protest outside the hall.  Their intent was not to
disrupt and their demeanor was reverent and gentle.  As worship began inside
they held their own service outside and as a part of it, some 80 folk
deliberately blocked a public area and were arrested by an understanding
police force.

I wished the folk outside had felt welcome inside–for the worship was
wonderful.  Funny how a Hockey arena can become a cathedral.  From where I
sat I could see the victory banners of the ICE DOGS and an exit with a large
sign labeled CONDIMENTS and yet I was immediatley captured by the wonderful
worship service.

The music was its core.  A large band/orchestra complete with bongo's and
steel drums and organ, and a massed choir from local churches of 500 or more
singers drew us into the service.  It was a wonderful example of blended
worship–with praise songs and hymns and ethnic songs–all making their
contribution.  Children and young people had a prominent place in the
readings.  Retiring moderator Freda preached and newly elected moderator
Syngman pronounced the benediction, we honored and commissioned
missionaries, and celebrated the Lord's Supper together.  The fellow next to
me was visiting the assembly  from a local church and was into Praise songs.
 He knew them all and held up his hands and raised his head in praise.  I'm
a hymn kinda guy. But as the worship progressed he drew me into praising and
I got him into belting out the hymns.  And when we passed the elements we
each spoke.."The body of Christ for you".."and for you."  After the
benediction we two, former strangers, embraced. At the table we were one in
Christ.

When the offering plate came around I discovered I had nothing but a $20.00
bill in my wallet.  The money was going for a number of wonderful mission
projects, but normally my gift would have been smaller.   But as the
offertory anthem progressed, I wish it had been more.  4 children sang the
ancient plain song:Of the Father's  Love Begotten.  The choir and the
orchestra joined in a sort of theme with variations thing..and then all of a
sudden the whole bunch was singing in Zulu and drums were beating and Girls
twirling scarves danced up the aisle holding aloft our offering.  The drama
the pagentry and the sheer wonder of it all was nigh overwhelming.  There it
was: Unity out of Diversity..with pizzazz.

In the afternoon an event entitled Kaleidoscope 2000 in the theater tackled
the same Unity in Diversity theme from many angles.  A rock band from the
Brentwood church, a marvelous drama group, Slide shows, dance–all
contributing to the theme.  I was touched by a dramatic presentation of
Psalm 139, brilliantly done.  And the presentation of Professor Doug Adams
of Pacific School of Religion was wonderful.  He points out the different
between parent and grandparent stories.  Parent stories have morals and
advice and admonitions to do this or else!  Grandparent stories are much
more loving and tolerant (and he thinks more truthful).  His contention is
Jesus was into grandparent stories while the Pharisees were telling parent
tales.  So when Peter fails three times–Jesus does not shake his finger and
say no more privileges.  Instead he says: Upon you I will build my church.

When the day ended I wondered if this sense of harmony in diversity  might
prevail in this assembly.  I recalled, however the words of Bill Bennett who
spoke to a large crowd Saturday and challenged them to resist attempts by
"promoters of tolerance and pluralism" to downplay Christian faith ... .
"Some things are right and some things are wrong", he said.

As committee hearings begin this morning..one suspects these questions of
right and wrong will be a major theme.

This is David Steele ... thanks for listening ... Shalom, Friends