From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Romance blooms at the Assembly

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 26 Jun 2000 12:26:51

Note #5984 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

Ga00035
June 25, 2000

	Romance blooms at the Assembly

	by Midge Mack

LONG BEACH, June 25 - “To us, General Assembly seems a bit romantic,” says
John Kelso, minister commissioner from San Jose presbytery. “It was 17 years
ago that we met, at the 1983 “reunion assembly” when both of us were
seminary assistants.  I was from Pittsburgh, Paula was from Princeton.
Fourteen months later we were married, so this is like an anniversary trip.

	“I’ve been to another one since,” continues Kelso, “as an overture advocate
in ‘96 (Albuquerque) when the Assembly was asked to create a Korean language
presbytery within the Synod of the Pacific.

	“Paula and I were ordained in ‘87, then served as associate pastors at
Stone Church in San Jose. We were interims when the head of staff left. Then
Paula was called to Lakeside Presbyterian in San Francisco, so I took on
special pastoral work, doing interims and working with troubled churches.”

	Kelso went on to explain how he and Paula had agreed that if one  partner
got a  call to a “good fit,” the other would accommodate. “It’s been
satisfying to solve problems,” he says. “I’ve just come off an eight-month
administrative commission and we’ve been able to install a new session.”

	He further reports that the two of them blended their two-child-each
families when they married. “Now they’re all grown and gone, replaced only
by a cat, and just recently by our first grandchild, our oldest daughter’s
new son.”

	Kelso’s Assembly assignment  is the Mission Coordination and Budgets
committee.