From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Division is against Christ’s will

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 26 Jun 2000 15:28:46

Note #5987 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

GA00041
June 26, 2000

Division is against Christ’s will, says outgoing ecumenical official

	by Edmund Doogue

LONG BEACH, June 26–Ecumenical relationships, an apparently abstract and
irrelevant issue that grips neither the attention of the media nor the
hearts of most churchgoers, Presbyterians included, is a matter of deep
concern for the Rev. Eugene Turner, who will soon retire as associate stated
clerk for ecumenical and General Assembly-related agencies.

	In an interview during the 212th General Assembly of the Presbyterian
Church (U.S.A.), taking place here this week, Turner was asked why the 2.6
million members of the PC(USA) should give time and money to dialogues with
churches vastly different from their own.  "Because the church is divided
against the will of Christ" he said. "I think I can say that the
Presbyterian Church holds the view that we must seek the unity of the Church
to be faithful to Christ. This is spelled out in John 17.

	"This division among churches is not a good witness, especially in the
light of the growing popularity of other religions. In Islamic parts of the
world, they point to the disunity of Christians to claim the superiority of
their own religion."

	The General Assembly may debate its contribution to national and
international ecumenical bodies this week, but Turner believes it is vital
that the commitment not be reduced.

	Turner, who has been involved in ecumenical relations at local and
international levels for decades and has been associate stated clerk for
seven years, knows better than most the difficulties on the path to unity.
Asked what the past seven years have taught him, he said, "The road to unity
requires patience, endurance and tolerance. A successful uniting of the
churches is in the far future, but steps are already being realized."

	As proof of what can be achieved, he points to PC(USA) agreements
implementing full communion with the United Church of Christ, the
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the Reformed Church in America.
Multilateral dialogue with eight U.S. churches is likely to lead to
agreement on full communion in the not-too-distant future.

	Achieving communion with some churches like the Orthodox or the Roman
Catholic churches would require, Turner admits, a quantum leap. But the very
fact that the PC(USA) is in discussion with Orthodox churches about
theological matters is in itself an achievement. "Twenty years ago, dialogue
with the Orthodox would have been impossible. The World Council of Churches
has given permission to these churches to talk to one another. "That’s
progress," he said.

	Turner will retire in January, when Robina Windbush, a pastor from Hollis,
N.Y., will take over his duties. Asked what he will do next, the 66-year-old
Turner said, "Something that involves me in the broader vision of the
church, maybe interfaith relations. Or I could end up teaching. But I want
to work less than full time."