From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Toronto Mayor Welcomes Adventist Delegation

From APD <APD_Info_Schweiz@compuserve.com>
Date 27 Jun 2000 11:20:49

June 26, 2000
Adventist Press Service (APD)
Christian B. Schäffler, Editor-in-chief
CH-4003 Basel, Switzerland
Fax +41-61-261 61 18
APD@stanet.ch
www.stanet.ch/APD/2000/GK

Toronto Mayor Welcomes Adventist Delegation

Toronto, Canada, 26.06.2000 - Mel Lastman, mayor
of Toronto, welcomed the  Seventh-day Adventist
Church to town June 26 at a press conference
called to announce the start of the Church's World
Session on June 29.

"We are honoured and delighted to host this major
Church convention here in Toronto," said Lastman.
"We promise peace, serenity and safety, together
with thousands of welcomes from the most
culturally diverse city in the world."

Lastman also referred to the similarity between
the city of Toronto and the Adventist Church in
its representation from many nations and
languages.

You will find more than 100 languages and even
more nationalities here in Toronto," he said. "May
the magic of the city of Toronto match the magic
of your Church with its 11 million members.
Adventists are wonderful people, with 20,000 in
Ontario, including two in my own office. We are
delighted that you have chosen Toronto."

Responding, Jan Paulsen, president of the
Adventist Church, thanked the mayor and said that
Toronto's international flavour meant that the
Adventist World Church would feel at home, and
looked forward to a profitable time in the city.

"As a Church we have a primary spiritual agenda
which comes from Scripture," said Paulsen. "But
our Lord also took a strong interest in the
community in which he was placed. So we too look
to improve the quality of life of people here and
now. Today has to be better than yesterday. Our
mission around the world has always emphasized
education for the community, and health through
hospitals and clinics."

Noting the city's interest in hosting events such
as the Olympics, Paulsen noted that the Session
was "not quite the Olympics," but that it would
"give your city an opportunity to display your
vast skills at hosting such a large event as
this."

Orville Parchment, president of the Adventist
Church in Canada added that "we are very excited
that Session is being held in Canada for the first
time," and thanked the World Church for choosing
to come to Toronto.

Gino Ginacola of Tourism Toronto said that the
Session would be truly exceptional in that it was
the largest ever convention in Toronto's history,
and would have an exceptional economic benefit due
to the numbers attending and the length of stay.
He anticipated that the arrival of so many
Adventist visitors would "bring CAN$50 million
into the economy of the city and the province.

"This event will raise awareness of Toronto for
other major conventions that can be staged here by
other international organizations," said Giancola.
"It will also solidify Toronto as a venue for the
religious market sector and others." He also
thanked the SkyDome, the Toronto Blue Jays, and
the baseball League for being willing to hold
their games outside of Toronto so that the
Adventist Church could have use of the SkyDome for
the Session.

The World Session runs from June 29 to July 5 and
is expected to bring 60,000 visitors to Toronto.
(News editor: Jonathan Gallagher for ANN/APD)

© Adventist News Network (ANN)/Adventist Press
Service (APD)