From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Geneva Press gives first Assembly breakfast with Hawaiian flair

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 27 Jun 2000 14:38:45

Note #6011 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

27-June-2000
GA00063

	Geneva Press gives first Assembly breakfast with Hawaiian flair

	Author said returning to the church was a "life transforming experience"

	by Evan Silverstein

LONG BEACH, June 27 -– In a gathering that resembled a Hawaiian luau more
than a book publishing breakfast, about 250 people gathered at the Hyatt
Regency Hotel Tuesday to hobnob with authors and browse through books at the
Geneva Press breakfast.

	With its employees donning colorful Hawaiian leis, it was the first such
bash thrown by Geneva Press, which did not include a formal program. Geneva
Press is a fairly new imprint of the Presbyterian Publishing Corporation
(PPC). It is the "little sister," as the Rev. Tom Long, director of Geneva
Press put it, of Westminster John Knox Press.

	Its mission is to publish books for the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) and
for congregations whenever materials are needed on stewardship, education,
worship and mission.

	There are more than 100 Geneva Press authors, some of whom were in
attendance, including Dirk Wierenga, author of "Presbyterians: A Spiritual
Journey." The photo-essay book containing 80 stories on the Presbyterian
Church focuses on its people, congregations and ministries. Long called the
costly book, which received subsidies from various individuals and agencies
of the church, it is the most ambitious book to date undertaken by Geneva
Press. It was to be published in time for introduction during the General
Assembly here.

	"It is an absolutely delightful treatment of our denomination," said Long
of Wierenga's book, adding of other authors, "It's their creativity and
devotion to the church that makes our publications possible and we are
pleased to be disseminating their ideas and thoughts."

	 Long will be leaving Geneva Press in August for the Chandler School of
Theology at Emory University in Atlanta to teach preaching.

	 Wierenga, a baby boomer and third generation Presbyterian, called himself
"part of the lost generation of the church" who left the denomination for 20
years when he entered college.

	When he returned to the church five or six years ago "I found it a life
transforming experience," Wierenga said. "And about three years ago I awoke
one night with what I can only think of as a call, and that was to do this
book. Through the help of so many supportive people of the church....it has
been a marvelous project to be involved in."

	He thanked John M. Mulder, president of Louisville Theological Seminary who
was instrumental in securing subsidies for the book by raising $250,000 to
help reduce financial risk and  underwrite the cost of the project to the
PPC, which totaled $1,028,000. Wierenga also thanked Long and others for
their support and agencies within the church, including the General Assembly
Council.