From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Older Adults attend "smart classroom"

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 27 Jun 2000 15:06:06

Note #6013 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

27-June-2000
GA00062

	Older Adults attend "smart classroom"

	by Midge Mack

LONG BEACH, June 27 - At the 11th annual Older Adult Ministry event Tuesday
morning, nearly 100 General Assembly participants had "breakfast with
Freda," (Freda Gardner, moderator of the 211th  Assembly) to ponder with her
some  vital questions of aging.

	"Even seminaries now have "smart" classrooms with all kinds  technological
resources I don't understand," Gardner told the group.  "Today you are each
other's resources , so we're going to be interactive."

	Understanding that there were many possible responses to the questions, her
audience was quick with  answers.  Her first question was   "What beliefs
are foundational for the shaping of your life in later years?"   And they
answered, "that I am a child of God,"   "that I need to undergird and affirm
who I've been and who I am," "that I need to narrow my focus," "that we need
to equip those who follow us, then get out of the way."

	"Why do you think you are still alive, and what do you think is the purpose
of life in later years?" she asked. The  answers  ranged from "being
blessed" and "God's plan for me," to "good
genes,"  "good medicine," and "positive frame of mind," with  agreement that
a primary  purpose is to pass on our faith, as well as our knowledge and
experience.

	Questions about the concept and place of  the  Sabbath in today's life
concluded the discussion. Most agreed that the culture created such problems
for a Sabbath "day," so that Sabbath "times for contact with the Lord,"
daily or periodically, were more meaningful. "Sabbath is a polestar in our
lives," some said, and "without a Sabbath time and place, there is
disarray."

	Gardner concluded with several challenges to her audience to continue to
work at discerning God's will,  to look around to see what needs to be done,
and to witness to the world in keeping Sabbath times.