From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Assembly committee recommends prohibition of same-sex unions

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 27 Jun 2000 17:54:45

Note #6022 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

27-June-2000
GA00074

	Assembly committee recommends prohibition of same-sex unions

	25-22 vote guarantees lively floor debate

	by Jerry L. Van Marter

LONG BEACH, June 27–By a vote of 25-22, the Assembly Committee on Physical
and Spiritual Well Being recommended today that the 212th General Assembly
approve a constitutional amendment that would prohibit same-sex unions in
the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).  If approved by the full Assembly later
this week, the amendment would go to presbyteries for their ratification.

	The proposed amendment, which came to the Assembly as Overture 00-26 from
San Joaquin Presbytery, would add section W-4.9007 to the PC(USA) "Book of
Order" that reads: "Scripture and our Confessions teach that God's intention
for all people is to live either in fidelity within the covenant of marriage
between a man and a woman or in chastity in singleness.  Church property
shall not be used for and church officers shall not take part in conducting
any ceremony or event that pronounces blessing or gives approval of the
church or invokes the blessing of God upon any relationship that is
inconsistent with God's intention as expressed in the preceding sentence."

	The committee voted to answer similar proposals from Tampa Bay Presbytery
(overture 00-12) and from Charlotte Presbytery (overture 00-54) with its
action on the San Joaquin overture.

	The committee's action came after four hours of impassioned but civil
debate.

	Supporters of the measure argued that the plain teaching of scripture
declares same-sex relationships to be sinful.  The Rev. Tom Sparks of
Heartland Presbytery said, "I have heard mixed voices at this Assembly, but
I personally cannot find my way from the Bible to the Confessions to the
blessing of same-sex unions."

	Opponents countered that a flat prohibition impedes the pastoral duties of
ministers with their members.  The Rev. Tricia Dykers-Koenig, a pastor from
Western Reserve Presbytery who advocated for an opposing overture from her
presbytery, pleaded with the committee "to preserve our tradition and defend
pastors from attempts to limit their responsibility for pastoral care of
their members."  Great latitude is given to ministers in the pastoral care
of members, Dykers-Koenig insisted, "and micro-managing ministers and
sessions is not our tradition or has it been our practice."

	But the Rev. Scott Weimer of Greater Atlanta Presbytery said, "We are
people of faith and cannot set our own rules of behavior, we must submit
ourselves to Christ and the scriptures.  When we  bless same sex unions, we
are straying."

	The committee also brushed aside advice from the Advisory Committee on the
Constitution (ACC) that a further amendment to the "Book of Order" is
unnecessary.  ACC member the Rev. James MacKellar of Northern New England
Presbytery told the committee "the intent of the church, demonstrated in
amendments, judicial decisions and [a 1991] authoritative interpretation is
to prohibit any ceremony that blesses or appears to give legitimacy between
same sex couples."

	But the Permanent Judicial Commission of the General Assembly -- the
church's highest court -- ruled in May that if a minister does not equate a
same sex union ceremony with a marriage ceremony (which the "Book of Order"
defines as between a man and a woman) it is not constitutionally prohibited.

	ACC member Lydia Serrata told the committee that the ACC's opinion would
not have changed had it waited until after the PJC ruling and committee
members seemed annoyed by the ACC's counsel.  The Rev. Bruce Powell, a
pastor from Charlotte whose session originated that Presbytery's overture,
told the committee,  "The ACC says the ‘Book of Order' is clear, but from
the discussion here it is clear we are not clear."

	Others argued that the church is not clear on issues of human sexuality.
Elder David Rue, the vice-moderator of the committee from Western Reserve
Presbytery said, "I see God as in favor of diversity."  Rue said he believed
there is a continuum of human sexuality along which everyone falls and "to
deny same-sex sexuality is to deny our own heterosexuality."

	But in the end, Rue's position failed.  Rebecca Smith, a Youth Advisory
Delegate from the Presbytery of the James, echoed the prevailing sentiment
in the committee: "Our sins are forgiven but not blessed.  We should not
condone or bless a sinful relationship."

	If an amendment is sent out by the General Assembly, a majority of the
PC(USA)'s presbyteries must vote to ratify it in the next year in order for
the amendment to become part of the "Book of Order."