From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

WEISS SEMINARY FUND ESTABLISHED

From RICH.SCHRAMM@ecunet.org
Date 28 Jun 2000 09:59:10

To: wfn-editors@wfn.org

AMERICAN BAPTIST NEWS SERVICE
Office of Communication
American Baptist Churches USA
P.O. Box 851, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0851
Phone: (610)768-2077 / Fax: (610)768-2320
Web: www.abc-usa.org
Richard W. Schramm, Director
 E-mail: richard.schramm@abc-usa.org

WEISS FUND FOR EXCELLENCE WILL SEEK 'BEST
AND BRIGHTEST' FOR SEMINARY EDUCATION
by Virginia R. Holmstrom, American Baptist Educational
Ministries
 GREEN LAKE, WIS.-At a celebration dinner of the
General Board June 24 recognizing the ministry of retiring Dr.
Daniel E. Weiss, American Baptist Churches USA President
Trinette McCray announced the formation of The Daniel E.
Weiss Fund for Excellence, a new merit-based scholarship
program to be administered by American Baptist Educational
Ministries to prepare gifted American Baptists for ministry
and service.
 The Weiss Fund for Excellence recognizes the
outstanding commitments of Weiss, who is retiring Aug. 31 as
general secretary of American Baptist Churches USA, to
leadership development and theological education.  These
commitments include many years of fruitful ministry as a
local church pastor, professor at Gordon-Conwell Theological
Seminary, vice president of Gordon College, executive vice
president of Pace University, and president of Eastern
College and the Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary (1973-
1981). Weiss also served as executive director of ABC
Educational Ministries from 1983 to 1988.
 In the surprise announcement, McCray addressed Weiss's
concern for leadership.  "We know one of the major concerns
for you has been the quality of leadership for our churches.
This fund is established to encourage the best and the
brightest young people to attend seminary . . . and pay
their way."
 "There is a great need for theologically astute
persons to engage the social, economic and political systems
of our culture," said Dr. Jean B. Kim, Educational
Ministries' executive director.  "The impact of the Gospel
on our increasingly complex society depends on the best
biblically-based thinking of gifted American Baptist clergy
and laypersons who are prepared to act for love and
justice."
Excellence has been designed to identify outstanding
American Baptists who might not otherwise choose theological
study, and to offer these persons substantial financial
assistance for the first year of such study.  Scholarships
will be awarded to candidates who will strengthen American
Baptist congregations and their witness in the world through
their theological thinking and leadership.  Also, to
continue substantial tuition support beyond the first year,
Educational Ministries has committed an amount from its
financial aid endowment for recipients continuing in
seminary or theological school beyond the first year.
 Weiss, overcome with deep appreciation at the
unexpected announcement of the Fund named for him, said,
"Thank you for establishing this fund that will provide
something that is so desperately needed in our denomination.
I am incredibly honored to have my name associated with it."
 The total to date from individuals' gifts and pledges,
plus Educational Ministries $250,000 endowment commitment,
exceeds $400,000.  The interest from each additional
$100,000 will support another person's first year of study.
Educational Ministries will seek gifts to enlarge the fund
in order to provide at least one additional scholarship each
year.
 Kim said that Educational Ministries will seek
nominations of qualified individuals from pastors, Youth
Leader Core advisors, American Baptist campus ministers,
chaplains at ABC-related colleges and universities, and
others.  Nomination and application information will be
available from Educational Ministries' Office of Financial
Aid after Dec. 1, 2000.
 The Board of Educational Ministries long has
encouraged and assisted persons in their journeys toward
mature discipleship and in their preparation for ministry.
To that end Educational Ministries distributes more than
$600,000 each year in financial aid to American Baptist
students and ministerial leaders.
6/28/00
WFN628E
 -0-