From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Palmer enthralls Renewal breakfasters

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 28 Jun 2000 12:46:31

Note #6040 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

GA00092
June 28, 2000

Palmer enthralls Renewal breakfasters

	Annual awards presented

	by Nancy Rodman

LONG BEACH, June 28 - "Only you can tell someone else what it's like to be
forgiven," the Rev. Earl Palmer told an enthusiastic audience at the annual
General Assembly breakfast of Presbyterians for Renewal (PFR).

	Palmer told the stories of Peter and the slave Malchus, whose ear Peter cut
off at the time of Jesus' betrayal in the garden by Judas.  These two men,
Palmer said, are significant because in their stories "we see Jesus'
character and authority.  We see the healing authority and love of Jesus as
an event in the garden.  Jesus puts word and action together and they can't
be separated.  Jesus' love is not theoretical."

	In the story of Peter's journey through depression, betrayal, and
redemption, and in the story of Malchus' healing, we see grace and truth
converge, Palmer said.  He continued, "Only Christ can redeem and he is the
only truth."  Jesus is the Lord, not merely our Lord, Palmer affirmed.
"He's not our choice.  He is Lord whether we choose him or not."

	The love of God, he concluded, is an event we experience and "our role is
to show what it's like to be redeemed, to be judged by one who loves us."

	Palmer is pastor of University Presbyterian Church, Seattle, Wa.

	The Bell-Mackay Prize was presented to G. Thompson and Mardia Brown,
longtime missionaries in Korea.  The Bell-Mackay Prize, awarded annually by
PFR, celebrates the lives and ministries of L. Nelson Bell and John Mackay
and honors women and men who have followed in their tradition.

	Shannon McBride was awarded the Lydia Fund Scholarship which is presented
annually to a woman attending a Presbyterian seminary, Fuller Seminary, or
Gordon-Conwell Seminary.  McBride is a member of Highland Park Presbyterian
Church, Dallas, and will attend Princeton Theological Seminary in the fall.

	General Assembly Moderator Syngman Rhee paid an unscheduled visit to the
PFR breakfast.  He reminded his listeners of the story of the guard washing
Paul and Silas' wounds and said, "May we together as God's people and
Christians wash each other's wounds.  May God begin a new day."

	The Rev. Trevor Morrow, moderator of the Presbyterian Church in Ireland and
chair of the Nexus Project for reconciliation among the young people of
Ireland brought greetings to the gathering.

	Presbyterians for Renewal was organized to participate in renewal work in
the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).