From the Worldwide Faith News archives www.wfn.org

Ecunet founder addresses PresbyNet dinner

From PCUSA NEWS <PCUSA.NEWS@ecunet.org>
Date 28 Jun 2000 17:38:41

Note #6048 from PCUSA NEWS to PRESBYNEWS:

28-June-2000
GA00101

	Ecunet founder addresses PresbyNet dinner

	by Emett H. Barfield

LONG BEACH, June 28 - Tuesday night, Bob Cramer, founder of Ecunet,
entertained a large number of PresbyNet users and friends of the
Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) with his perambulating style, reminiscent of
Garrison Keillar.

	With an unbroken string of delightful stories and droll asides, Cramer
stories captivated the audience as he shared with them his understanding of
the church's use of Cyberspace. For the speaker, creedal activity of the
church might sustain the church, but stories make community in the church.

	Citing the storyline of a novel he says, "It is an adult story too, because
we older types need to be pried loose from exclusively cognitive transfer to
more and more feeling media of which Ecunet is a very rich example." Not
only does it provide that essential feeling media for Cramer, Ecunet affords
a veritable sea of stories.

	Cramer challenged the diners saying, "I am one who thinks people are
changed by stories. There are plenty of stories 'out there' and plenty of
stories to be told. The kind of storytelling I think most important may only
happen in Ecunet, if it can grow and attract serious change agents. I am not
a marketer, I am a dreamer. Let's expand the dream."

	Assistant Director of Communication Gary Luhr expressed appreciation to
Barry Creech, Coordinator of Communication Assistance, and his staff for
their hard work in the upgrading and improving of the PresbyNet system in
recent months.